Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
orange
Forum Member

orange
Default what causes a chanter reed to squeal??

Well I had an issue the other day while competing...Some of you may have heard it LOL!! My chanter kept squealing. Like it was being over blown.. Which I realize is most likely the easiest cause. My instructor thinks this as well. But I swear I wasn't blowing any differently then usual.. I was calm and focused.. So what else can cause this?? I would play for 2 or 3 min and then the squealing would start.. I'd think "I must be over blowing" and ease off. But then the chanter would totally choke.. This squeal also happened through the whole scale,not just on the lower hand. And not just while blowing into the bag, but all so while taking a breath.. It was hot and we adding some water to our ross canister's. The reed is over a year old. But played well the day before in practice..

Thanks all.
orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

el gaitero
Default Re: what causes a chanter reed to squeal??

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange View Post
Well I had an issue the other day while competing...Some of you may have heard it LOL!! My chanter kept squealing. Like it was being over blown.. Which I realize is most likely the easiest cause. My instructor thinks this as well. But I swear I wasn't blowing any differently then usual.. I was calm and focused.. So what else can cause this?? I would play for 2 or 3 min and then the squealing would start.. I'd think "I must be over blowing" and ease off. But then the chanter would totally choke.. This squeal also happened through the whole scale,not just on the lower hand. And not just while blowing into the bag, but all so while taking a breath.. It was hot and we adding some water to our ross canister's. The reed is over a year old. But played well the day before in practice..

Thanks all.
sometimes the obvious is too so; check for foreign stuff in the chanter, in the holes, on the reed (split) ; use a mandrel to open it ; more than anything tho it may be just (now) too much of a wimp reed ; go for slightly stronger; btw ..what type of reed?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
hoohoodragon
Forum Gold Medal

hoohoodragon is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear that little bit of bad luck. Nobody likes when that happens.

Sometimes reeds just become really easy after a stimulus like excessive heat or moisture. This is not fixable to my knowledge, and you will have to get another reed.

Another cause might be a constricted sound box, the space inside the reed where resonance occurs. This will make the reed choke because not as much air can pass through it. The way to fix this is to touch the edges of the reed right below the corners, the very thin parts on the sides, and push them in with a small-medium amount of force. What this will do is open up the sound box and allow more air pressure to move through the reed. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, ask your instructor. He will probably know what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheHoohoodragon | Rampant Lion Pipe Band - http://www.rlpb.org

Last edited by hoohoodragon; 07-04-2010 at 09:12 AM.
hoohoodragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

TwitchyFingers

If it got dry at the hemp seating, it could leak a bit of air. That can cause all sorts of squeaks and instabilities.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
jackhawkpiper97
Forum Clasp

jackhawkpiper97 is on a distinguished road

This probably wasn't an issue but a possibility, if you were holding the chanter too close to your body that would restrict airflow to the chanter reed
Old 07-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
agricolae
Forum Gold Medal

agricolae
Send a message via ICQ to agricolae

It can also mean that the reed staple is touching the chanter...this also makes a squeal/gurgling (typically when you go from the top hand to a low g).

It might well also just be a dead reed...over-blowing, under-blowing - all just relative terms, if the reed has in fact lost its backbone, your 'usual pressure' would be over-blowing that particular reed
agricolae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
PMT
Holy smoking keyboard!

PMT

A chanter reed will squeel if it is too easy, or over blown and can be remedied by opening the staple. More often than not however a squeel is caused by not sealing the holes on the chanter accurately.

There are numerous other causes and remedies but these are the most obvious.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
Curt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMT View Post
A chanter reed will squeel if it is too easy, or over blown and can be remedied by opening the staple. More often than not however a squeel is caused by not sealing the holes on the chanter accurately.

There are numerous other causes and remedies but these are the most obvious.
PMT, I couldn't have said it better myself. Exactly what I was thinking.
Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
orange
Forum Member

orange

PS.. It is a Ross reed in a Shepard chanter.. I have had an issue in the past with over blowing. Particularly in competitions..But I've worked very hard to correct this over the last year..I honestly think my blowing is more or less rock steady now..The Saul tuner seems to re-enforce this as well. That said I do seem to play/need pretty hard reeds, so maybe a year for a reed is all I can expect?? I guess I was more or less wondering if adding water to my ross could've caused this on such a hot day? I should also mention that we ended up at 486 Hz in the final tuning area!!! Could that have had an effect? Whatever the cause, it was a pretty frustrating moment. I feel like I was to blame for the band not placing well..There were other issues as well but a squeeling reed must've really effected our score..Oh well Next games soon so maybe just enough time to break in a new reed..
orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:44 AM   #10
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

Randy McIntosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhawkpiper97 View Post
This probably wasn't an issue but a possibility, if you were holding the chanter too close to your body that would restrict airflow to the chanter reed

Care to explain as I'm at a loss to understand this one?