Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-20-2010, 07:21 AM   #1
Barry Shears

Default Battle Brewing over bagpipe chanter (iain dall's pipe chanter)

This just in,

http://thechronicleherald.ca/NovaScotia/1213049.html

I am extremely saddened after reading this article in the local paper. It looks like another relic has been carted off to Scotland. Nothing against the Scots but one would think they had enough castles and old instruments already. I would hope a few Canadian pipers might write the newspaper (The Chronicle Herald, Halifax NS)and voice their displeasure on the loss of this" National" treasure.
A very disheartened,
Barry Shears
www.capebretonpiper.com
Barry Shears is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-20-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
Paul Ouellette
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Battle Brewing over bagpipe chanter (iain dall's pipe chanter)

Barry : Would this old treasured relic, not be better to remain on display at the museum in Scotland ??

P.
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
Barry Shears

Paul,
No I don't think so. There are people though who may see nothing wrong with this gift. If I followed that logic I'd end up donating my collection bagpipes, some of which date to the American Revolution and Waterloo(which are currently stored in a safe place), to a museum in Scotland . There are museums here in NS which would have taken the chanter. Any one of them would be a fitting repository for what is perhaps the oldest woodwind of European manufacture in North America. To send it back to the Scotland, placed in a display case in Glasgow, where it cannot be seen and appreciated on a regular basis by Nova Scotian pipers and those interested in the cultural history of the Gael in the New World is truly an' Unjust Incarceration'. John Roy Mackay must be turning over in his grave. Perhaps a temporary loan would have been more appropriate and once we had a proper venue for its care and display created it would be returned.
From a personal note, I have been negotiating with a local society to set up a fund to acquire and display relics such as these, including items from my own collection. This is a project which is long overdue and much needed and I had hoped to have the MacKay chanter as a centre piece.
Anyway that's my view,
Barry
Barry Shears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
Ian Robertson
Forum Regular

I greatly respect Michael Sinclair's desire to find a safe and accessible home for this chanter, but I think he made the wrong choice. The Iain Dall chanter is a symbol of the musical traditions that immigrant pipers brought with them from Scotland--and that in places like Nova Scotia they and their descendants managed to keep alive for generations. The idea that Scotland is the only place that an object like this can suitably reside seems to fit right in with the assumption that the only valid forms of piping are those associated with "establishment" pipers in Scotland. More erosion of Nova Scotia's unique contribution to piping history...

Ian
Ian Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
radplaid
Forum Regular

Sounds like sour grapes to me. If this chanter was so important,why was it let go? Seems alright to me that it will be displayed in the country it originally came from, and to say John Roy must be turning in his grave sounds more than a bit pompus to me----can we really know how he or his granfather would feel about this?
Unless there is something i'm missing here?
radplaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
SteveW
Forum Clasp

It's Sinclair's personal property, so he can do with it as he pleases. I don't see how this Mr. Gibson has any legal leverage whatsoever.
SteveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
Armorican
Forum Silver Medal

In the past, was any attempt been made to exhibit the chanter in Nova Sotia? If not, I think the former owner made the correct choice by donating it to the first credible body who wanted to display it.
Armorican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
North Idaho Piper
Forum Silver Medal

There are so many questionable statements in that article I don't know where to start...

"Although Gibson acknowledges traditional Highland piping originated in Scotland, he said it has faded there." Says who? Where did THAT come from?

"But Gibson, who learned of the donation Friday, said it must be returned to Canada and preferably to Nova Scotia. "I shall consult the best legal authorities that I can find," he said from Judique." There is no dispute that it legally belongs to Sinclair, in fact has been in his family since the beginning. What argument would Gibson have to bring it back?

"Had he known that Sinclair was taking it out of Canada, Gibson said, he would have tried to have the RCMP stop him at the airport." Does Canada have a law against exporting antiques? Would the RCMP even take Gibson serious?

To muddy the water even more, there is usually no guarantee that donated items will be on display in a museum. I've known many people that have donated items to museums but the items were never displayed, they were catalogued and stored. I know one guy that wanted to donate his historically significant aircraft to the Air & Space museum but they wouldn't guarantee that it would be displayed. He donated it to a different aviation museum with the stipulation that it would be displayed... and it is.

Karl
“For some the Highland pipe is a serious instrument, to be played with skill and care and to consume a lifetime in its study ... but to me, it’s even more important than that - it is life itself.” PM Bruce Campbell
North Idaho Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
DallPiobaire
Holy smoking keyboard!

It is a shame, but it is the owner's to do with as he pleases!

Perhaps a solution would be to have it go to different areas on a loan basis. That way many more pipers would have access to such a significant piece. I cna't imagine that any muesum would tuck such a thing away in storage!
Braw Jock Wee Heavy on tap!
DallPiobaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
SteveW
Forum Clasp

Bottom line is that it's safe and being appreciated more than ever.
SteveW is offline   Reply With Quote