Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-30-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
ferraribagpiper
Forum Member

ferraribagpiper is on a distinguished road
Default Different kind of pipes?

Hi everyone-ok, I'm new to piping, but I thought I had a pretty good idea about all the different kind of pipes out there-I've seen kitchen pipes and shuttle pipes and so forth. But last night at our Burns night dinner, there was a piper in the band who had a set of GHB's that looked subtly different. The tops of the drones were different, kind of like a small wine glass. And I couldn't get a closer look, but I don't think they were combed. I hope someone here can tell me what this gentleman was playing; my google search for "bagpipes with wine glass shaped drones" didn't provide much information...
Old 01-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
AveryB
Forum Silver Medal

AveryB
Default Re: Different kind of pipes?

Try searching for chalice-top bagpipes. And enjoy what you find...chalice top drones with plain turned wood are my most favorite style.
AveryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
Donald
Forum Member

Donald is on a distinguished road

Check out the pipes on the left side of this page. Beautiful chalice style pipes.

http://www.highland-pipemaker.com/Ma...20Bagpipes.htm
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

pancelticpiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraribagpiper View Post
kitchen pipes and shuttle pipes...

It's a Pandora's Box of different names, the various sizes of Scottish pipes.

Back in the 19th century most pipemakers made pipes in three sizes:

The smallest were called, back then, "miniature Highland pipes" or "chamber pipes".

Nowadays we usually call them "Scottish Smallpipes" or SSPs for short.

Different makers call them different things. Gibson calls their miniature Highland pipes "fireside" pipes and many people think that "fireside pipes" is a certain type of bagpipe. It's just a brand name for Gibson miniature pipes, actually. One maker calls their SSPs "studio pipes".

Two makers use shuttle drones borrowed from the French Musette Du Cour. John Walsh calls his SSP with shuttle drones "shuttlepipes" and Shepherd calls theirs "Highland Musettes". They're still miniature pipes or SSPs.

Anyhow, about Highland pipes with "chalice" or "wineglass" drone tops:

The earliest datable set of Highland pipes we know of is this set, 1714. The drone tops have a very interesting shape:

We have, in various museums and private collections, various early pipes. Here are two. The brown set is a Julian Goodacre reproduction of the famous "Waterloo drones" supposedly played at Waterloo but probably at least 50 years old at that time. The other set is an original 18th century set.

Kintail, throughout the 70's and until recently, made loads of "chalice" sets.

Here is MacLellan's version of the Waterloo set:

Old 01-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Charlie Rutan

Quote:
Hi everyone-The tops of the drones were different, kind of like a small wine glass....
the heck with chalice top bagpipes...

do you really have a Ferrari ???

Pictures! Pictures!
vrrooommmm.....!!!!

Last edited by Charlie Rutan; 01-30-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
ferraribagpiper
Forum Member

Yes, I do indeed have a Ferrari-a 1958 Ellena bodied 250 GT. My engine is currently in the shop. It's been there for almost a year, waiting for parts-typical Ferrari. Vintage cars and bagpipes have a few things in common, one of them being that you need LOTS of patience to play with either one, but when they're well tuned and running on all 12 cylinders/all 3 drones, they both sound amazing!
Old 01-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
ferraribagpiper
Forum Member

Thanks everyone for the response-they were indeed chalice top pipes he was playing-very nice!
Old 01-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Klondike Waldo
Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
It's a Pandora's Box of different names, the various sizes of Scottish pipes.

Back in the 19th century most pipemakers made pipes in three sizes:

The smallest were called, back then, "miniature Highland pipes" or "chamber pipes".

Nowadays we usually call them "Scottish Smallpipes" or SSPs for short.

snip
Certainly many of us do not usually call them Scottish Smallpipes. Parlor pipes, Chamber pipes and Miniature Highland pipes are still valid names.(Well, OK, we could argue about the last because of the cylinder bore(practice) chanter, but never the less) For many of us, Scottish Smallpipe means the modern, NSP reed-based tenor chanter matched with drones in a common stock, whether bellows-blown of mouth-blown.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
Charlie Rutan

Quote:
Vintage cars and bagpipes have a few things in common, one of them being that you need LOTS of patience to play with either one, but when they're well tuned and running on all 12 cylinders/all 3 drones, they both sound amazing!
you definitely have your head in the right place for learning how to play the bagpipe Good luck.