Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
Seth
Forum Gold Medal

Default Uilleann Reeds from the U.K. Q1

Yes I know. I spend too much time on ebay. I ran across a chap on ebay who sells UP reeds. If you check their auction's they sell reeds specifically for flat, concert, regs, etc. The reeds look great in the picture and every feedback they have recieved on these reeds, I found about 12 feedbacks, were all positive. The only thing is the sell a lot of import instruments that we all know are crap. Anyways, the reeds look well made in the picture and don't appear to be the Pakistan import UP reeds, so I bought one just to see if it "is" worth a crap. They are so cheap that its not much of a loss if its a dud. I will let you guys know if its a good reed or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/UILLEANN-SPANISH...item35af10fe21
www.SethHamon.com
Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
longwind
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Uilleann Reeds from the U.K. Q1

I wondered about these reeds too. They look pretty good from the picts.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
Rob MacDonald
Holy smoking keyboard!

I keep wondering about those listings too - I have a 'tempermental' reed which is slowing my progress.

I've come to beleive that 'local reeds work best', so a mate and I have pooled the shekels and have ordered an in-cannel gouge and the other neccessary bits and are going to see what we can do in the way of making our own.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
Seth
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob MacDonald View Post
so a mate and I have pooled the shekels and have ordered an in-cannel gouge and the other neccessary bits and are going to see what we can do in the way of making our own.

You can also buy pre-gouged bassoon cane too if your "gouge lazy" like me. Bassoon cane is the right size for UP reeds. Its usually a little over .5" so you have to trim a bit off the slip. It also, depending on the supplier, comes gouged at about .042, so you have to take off a few thousands depending on your final thickness. Mine is .036-.038.
www.SethHamon.com
Old 02-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
Seth
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob MacDonald View Post
so a mate and I have pooled the shekels and have ordered an in-cannel gouge and the other neccessary bits and are going to see what we can do in the way of making our own.
Did you get a good reed mandrel? If not you can make one out of 5/32" drill rod tapered one the end. Start the taper 1 inch from the end of the drill rod on both sides and end up at the tip with 1/16". Make the other side with a slower taper to experiment with different eye and reed sizes. Seth
www.SethHamon.com
Old 02-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
Seth
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by longwind View Post
I wondered about these reeds too. They look pretty good from the picts.

I looked at the feedback from reed buyers and I noticed one chap bought one in early January and came back and bought another a month later. That's a good sign. Seth
www.SethHamon.com
Old 02-13-2011, 04:52 AM   #7
longwind
Holy smoking keyboard!

I noticed their other items are very similar to those selling musical instruments from the Middle East.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
Seth
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by longwind View Post
I noticed their other items are very similar to those selling musical instruments from the Middle East.
Yep, I noticed that too. That's what I was saying in the original post when I said, "The only thing is the sell a lot of import instruments that we all know are crap."

I've never seen a import reed that looked this well, but I will let you guys know whenever I get it. It was so cheap that the gamble was not a huge one. Also, if its crap, I may save a future buyer from a night of sobbing.
www.SethHamon.com
Old 02-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
Seth
Forum Gold Medal

This is an email I just got from the company after I asked who makes these reeds. When they say "give us some Instructions in reed", I hope they mean they will make a reed to my specifications or they may be talking about comments on improvement. At least they are being honest.

Hello,
Thanks for your e-mail.Its our manufactured in U.K by an Aisian people in our supervision and its our first production. It is very good sounded reed.We will try to make it better day by day.If you want to give us some instructions in reed.Please give us your comments will be very helpfull for us.
Regards

- quality1trader

www.SethHamon.com
Old 02-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
McRobin
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth View Post
I looked at the feedback from reed buyers and I noticed one chap bought one in early January and came back and bought another a month later. That's a good sign. Seth
I took the time to follow dozens of the linked feedback statements. They all lead either to dead-ends or just back to the posters own store - as such I believe them to be fakes.

I do like the idea of someone actually purchasing one...being so cheap...and reporting the actual findings back to the board. Good luck.
McRobin is offline   Reply With Quote