Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-19-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
red342
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

red342 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which "Clumsy Lover" version?

Hey all!

So It seems to me (although I may be wrong) that there are a few versions of Clumsy Lover out there. I have the sheet music for the "original" I am looking for the version that seems to be more popular these days and shorter as played in this link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkmq9Gye0zU Any recordings I come across on You Tube do not follow the music and seem to jump all over skipping the the first 2/3s. Any thoughts or help would be great. Thanks!
red342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-19-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
Bish
Forum Silver Medal

Bish
Send a message via Skype™ to Bish
Default Re: Which "Clumsy Lover" version?

That is so different from the original that it is a different tune. Only the second part sounds close.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
red342

Yes I agree, however I have heard and seen videos of several unrelated pipers play this tune. This is why I was wondering if there is music floating around, or if this is 2 tunes put together? If so what is the first tune?
Old 03-19-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

TwitchyFingers

I remember hearing this version shortly after the original Neil Dickie tune got popular. If you want the original music, pick up Neil Dickie's First(and only?) Book. There are a lot of great tunes in it. Even though it gets covered a lot without proper royalties going to Mr. Dickie, he at least has the satisfaction of having written a tune that will be a piping immortal. Lots of pipers and other session players have a favorite/personal version they like to play. It's a great strong melody that lends itself well to variation. I seriously think it will be around as long as The Mason's Apron.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:29 AM   #5
red342

Im posting more links so you can see how MANY different unrelated bands are playing this tune? Perhaps it is not even Clumsy Lover. Does anyone know it? It is obviously NOT one persons small changes because there are many people playing this exact version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwK7hjxy-74

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM0Mc...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCZQY7qtyaM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6sERSeW1Ss

As you see there is obviously a set arrangement to this tune out there. Perhaps it has been renamed? ONce again I HAVE the origianl so that is not what I am looking for. The orginal is 9 parts i believe and 18 lines, this version is obviously not. It appears to be 2 parts. Please help! lol Thank you

Last edited by red342; 03-19-2012 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Added text
Old 03-19-2012, 05:29 AM   #6
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Patrick McLaurin is on a distinguished road

The last 2 videos are just people playing the 1st and last parts. The first 3 videos are of some grade 4-ified version of the first part that sounds really cheesy to justify playing the really cool last part. Gotta give props to who ever came up with it though. It's catchy and almost fits the original ending. I wouldn't be caught dead playing it in a room full of pipers though, unless of course I knew its existence is not solely so grade 7 bands can play the (original) last part for effect in front of a general audience. Sounds like a good time to just listen to it over and over again and jot it down if you're interested in playing this little 2 part version. The only difference is the first line as the 2nd part is original.

It's a shame really, the original explores all kinds of rhythm and makes you wait for that last part, but it's worth it when you get there.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:05 AM   #7
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

David is on a distinguished road

I have also heard embarrasing level piping purported to be playing "Dropkick Murphy's Spicy McHaggis." (Whether the group was Dropkick Murphy or not I can't say. Horrid piping, so I hope not.) Indeed Mr Dickie's iconic tune has been butchered more ways than a side of beef in the hands of French chef.

I could have sworn that Neil once said that this tune was not for street bands or even serious but inexperienced bands and pipers. Maybe back when he was a moderator here in the Music area.

Get the official copy. Learn it, and decide if you want to play some or all of the parts. I have heard great pipers alter the tune, but--and this is a very big but--they honoured the work with superior technique and expression, and left the heart of the melodic line intact. Personalizing someone else's tune is music, and done all the time by the best, and, let's face it, the worst.

Last edited by David; 03-19-2012 at 07:09 AM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #8
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

bob864

Different composers have different ideas about people changing their tunes around.

Mr. Dickie, who is a forum member, has written quite clearly that he wants you to play it how it wrote it and no other way. Therefore, if you respect Mr. Dickie, buy his book and play it the way he thinks it should go. Search for his old posts in the music forum. Very enlightening.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #9
Rojellio
Holy smoking keyboard!

Rojellio

Quote:
Originally Posted by red342 View Post

As you see there is obviously a set arrangement to this tune out there. Perhaps it has been renamed? ONce again I HAVE the origianl so that is not what I am looking for. The orginal is 9 parts i believe and 18 lines, this version is obviously not. It appears to be 2 parts. Please help! lol Thank you
6 parts if I recall. IT is not terribly uncommon for it to get reduced to 2 parts, 1 & 6.. I saw a young kid playing it that way, and when he was done.. I adjust my horn-rim nerd glasses and say "excuse me young man.. but I should like to hear part 5 with the Edre.." He didn't know it had that many parts, or what an Edre was. I think one should know what an Edre is, and how to play one before attempting "Clumsey Lover".

The "Clumsey Lover Jig" is nice too. It has high A birls in the 4th part.
Rojellio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #10
C. Martin
Forum Silver Medal

C. Martin

The comments above are right on. But, maybe we should explain the uproar a bit more.

The link provided demonstrates a tune that really isn't Clumsy Lover at all in the first part. Really have a critical listen and think of the musical context. The first and second phrases bear no resemblance to the ending phrase which is from the tune. The ending phrase, into the second part are out of context with what was presented as the beginning of the tune.

As pointed out above, this clasic tune builds a neat rythmic pattern over the various parts bringing it to, a parden the pun, climax. The tune in the link is more like someone liked the ending phrase and the catchy second part and made up something totally differant to start it with. Forget it. Not worth the bother.

However, as Patrick pointed out, if you must, then listen to it and figure it out. If you can't do that, then likely you shouldn't be playing the tune anyway.

Just my two bits....
Charlie
C. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote