Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reviews Reviews of CDs, Music Books, DVDs, etc.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-17-2012, 04:06 AM   #1
Roger Huth

Roger Huth is on a distinguished road
Default Apps Cane Practice Reed

APPS PRACTICE CHANTER REED

Would you like to;

1) Play your practice chanter for as long as you like without having to continually stop to dry the reed

2) Have a reed in your practice chanter that plays at its peak when it is soaking wet

3) Have a practice chanter reed that is very easy to adjust

4) Enjoy a bright clear and almost small pipe sound from your practice chanter

Two days ago (11th July 2012) the small pipe maestro, Callum Armstrong, phoned me to ask about borrowing a lower pitch B flat Highland Pipe chanter for a concert, and we arranged for him to come round my house to make his choice.

After the call, I immediately went to my pipe box and took out a brand new Apps practice reed and left it to soak in water as per the instructions.

I also put my current Apps reed in to soak as well.

After about twenty minutes I removed them, blew the residue water out from the inner chambers and put them in my long wooden Naill chanters (one being a goose)

The new reed was an instant success and I played a number of tunes with it.

My older one, in the goose, was as excellent as it always has been.

Callum duly arrived and sorted out a couple of my pipe chanters against an online tuner; skilfully adjusting each note to the scale with tape.

Then I asked him to try the long Naill practice chanter.

I asked what he thought of it and he replied ‘It’s alright’

When I then told him it contained a brand new Apps cane reed Callum asked ‘to have a look at it’

He did so and said ‘It looks like a small pipe reed: may I?’

Callum, who understands reeds (he often makes reeds himself), made some infinitesimal adjustments to the metal bridle and the chanter reed magically reached its 100% ceiling of sound, wind resistance and resonance.

He then played more tunes on the practice goose, before repeating the above to my older Apps reed

Another thing.

The next day I went round to Callum's where we were playing the Highland pipes in his circa 1/2 acre of land.

Callum played ‘The Viscount’ and MacDougall’s Gathering’ and then I played ‘Patrick Og’ and a couple of other Grounds and tunes: while afterwards eating tea and cake and discussing why the head was missing from a mouse caught in a trap in his garden.

When I eventually returned to the car, I found that my practice chanter, with the brand new Apps reed in it, was red hot from being in the sun.

There isn’t a piper reading this that doesn’t know what I thought and said.

I blew the chanter and found, to my relief, that the reed was not affected and played away; denoting its toughness and resilience, as well as the beauty of its small pipe type sound.

I thoroughly recommend them

Roger Huth
Roger Huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Andrewman
Forum Member

Andrewman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Apps Cane Practice Reed

I will second that recomendation! I just purchased an Apps cane practice chanter reed from Roddy MacLellan at his recomendation. All I can say is WOW! Superb tone, a very in-tune scale, and a pleasure to listen to.

This reed works particularly well in my Gibson Long chanter. It is also very nice in a MacLellan pratice chanter with a very warm, almost clarinet - like tone.

Yes, the Apps Cane practice chanter reed is a bit more expensive than your standard practice chanter reed from company XYZ. However, the reed is exceptionally well made, and the tone really adds to my enjoyment of practicing.

Very highly recommended!
Andrewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Masterspark
Forum Member

Masterspark

I also recommend the Apps PC cane reed. I AM IN LOVE.WITH IT! Great tone and it loves to be wet. Sounds great in my Naill ABW PC.
Masterspark
Old 07-21-2012, 05:08 AM   #4
Another Henderson
Forum Regular

Another Henderson is an unknown quantity at this point

I am pleased to hear that it works well in the Gibson. I was wondering if anyone had tried that yet. I am very intrigued by that fact that it like to be wet, but at the price, I'd like to be affirmed of the longevity.

Either way, with these recommendations, I think I'll keep it on my birthday/Christmas list this year.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
Rojellio
Holy smoking keyboard!

Rojellio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewman View Post
Yes, the Apps Cane practice chanter reed is a bit more expensive than your standard practice chanter reed from company XYZ. However, the reed is exceptionally well made, and the tone really adds to my enjoyment of practicing.
The expense is not what it might seem. In my experience one cane reed is less expensive. IF you were to buy a couple of brand X, a brand Y, a couple brand Z, and maybe a new to market Brand W... (Which I have done more than once...) That handful of reeds costs more than the ONE Cane reed.In my experience, I never quite like any of the reeds in that handful of plastic ones. They are all OK and all, some better than others.. but not a winner in the pile. So.. having spent more for a pile of plastical reeds I didnt like.. IMHO buying just one Cane Reed is cheaper, and chances are good I will like it.
Rojellio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:13 AM   #6
Roger Huth

Roger Huth is on a distinguished road

I am deliberately bumping this thread because, since posting it in July 2012, the same Apps Cane Practice Reed has not let me down after playing it just about everyday for circa 17 months

If only drone reeds loved been soaking wet like that
Roger Huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

el gaitero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Huth View Post
I am deliberately bumping this thread because, since posting it in July 2012,.....

...and we're still waiting to hear the punchline about the mouse head....
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
Harvey McLendon
Forum Regular

Harvey McLendon

Yes! If I'm not mistaken, everyone played cane practice chanter reeds originally, right? I mean, the practice chanter surely predates plastic, so why did we start using plastic reeds almost exclusively? Plastic reeds don't sound great in a pipe chanter, so why do we accept it in a practice chanter? There's simply no comparison to cane in this application. Maybe Chris's reed is much better than the way they were made originally and so there is some benefit that plastic brought, but I'm struggling to find it.

In any case, I've had mine a little over a year - it's durable, easily adjusted for playing at various pitches to match others, and it just sounds good.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
Matt Pantaleoni
Forum Member

Matt Pantaleoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Huth View Post
If only drone reeds loved been soaking wet like that
Too true, Roger!

I am in a similar situation with my Apps cane practice chanter reed. I don't remember when I put it in, but I hardly ever look at it and it works like a champion. I love the fact that it doesn't get waterlogged the way a plastic reed does. I periodically give it a dip in some hydrogen peroxide as a preventative measure against mold. I can't believe more people don't play these things.

Matt
Matt Pantaleoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
flares2
Forum Silver Medal

flares2 is on a distinguished road

Because the reed plays wet, do you get excess moisture dribbling out of the high A hole, as sometimes happens with plastic reeds when they get too wet. Or does the cane absorb this moisture?
flares2 is online now   Reply With Quote