Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
stellata
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

stellata is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Murray Blair's iPhone bagpipe tuner app-how to use?

Ok I bought the app, then I realised there are no instructions that come with it.
I am not good with this frequency tuning thing, so I would love an opinion from those in the know:

How do I use the thing?

Low A is easy enough. Sound low A and the app will recognize your A and indicate 'A' along with your frequency readily enough. There is a fixed display range of 434-505 with A given as 471 smack in the centre.

Can I use the app for the rest of the scale? If I sound any other note, the app does recognise the note without problems (bravo!) and returns 'C' 'F' 'HG' as the case may be but strangely it will also indicate a frequency out of whack - 450 for C with the needle to the left or 490 for another note with the needle to the right...

Am I supposed to use the needle as if it were a chromatic tuner and figure the offsets from the centre mark accordingly? Or am I supposed to assume that the app is telling me which notes are flat or sharp and adjust to bring the needle to the centre mark?

The app also has a learn function that is supposed to learn the value of your low A but doesn't tell you what to do next.

Sorry if these are newbie questions-I've got no experience with such tuners. I've searched the net and Murrays website and couldn't find any info. I've emailed them as well and waiting for their reply.
stellata is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Patrick McLaurin is on a distinguished road

The offsets are built in. Every note is given with respect to the low A frequency. So a low A of 471 but it's giving you C at 450 means your C is really flat, because for it to be in tune, you'd need a low A of 450. The learn function is just a quick way to set the reference pitch for green light in tune. Set it to your current low A and go on.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
stellata

Default Re: Murray Blair's iPhone bagpipe tuner app-how to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
The offsets are built in. Every note is given with respect to the low A frequency. So a low A of 471 but it's giving you C at 450 means your C is really flat, because for it to be in tune, you'd need a low A of 450. The learn function is just a quick way to set the reference pitch for green light in tune. Set it to your current low A and go on.
I see! Thanks Patrick. Righto, so all I have to do is get the low A in tune then use the 'Learn' function to lock in the A frequency, then go about the rest of the scale and try to get the needle into the middle mark green zone? That's great.

What about drones though? Does the learn function work for drones too?
Old 08-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Patrick McLaurin is on a distinguished road

I don't think it learns anything but low A, but you can use it to tune drones.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
stellata

Ultra quick reply from Murray himself:

Once you have calibrated the tuner to Low A, the needle should be in the middle for all notes- therefore B also. If the note is in tune, all the green lights on the tuner will glow green and because this is a Bagpipe tuner all the offsets have been programmed so there's no need to make any adjustments.
For drones you can perform the same, calibrate to Low A, then tune the drones to the centre position (the tuner auto adjusts to the centre frequency when calibrated)

Thanks Murray!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
Frank W
Holy smoking keyboard!

Frank W

I've been using it for about a month now and use it for chanter and drones.
It works great and easy to use.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:29 AM   #7
Mark D
Forum Regular

Mark D

I find it's more accurate to read the numbers (i.e if low a is 478 then your b should also be 478). It took me a bit to realize this as it's quite different compared to my Saul tuner or my Korg. For whatever reason, I prefer this as opposed to trying to line-up a coloured meter dead centre.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
David Murry
Forum Clasp

David Murry

Resurrecting an old thread here.

Just started tinkering with this App.

I have read it is alley calibrated with offsets built in..but calibrated to what?

Just intonation or Harmonic? Particularly the HG? Is it 31 cents flat or 3.9(just intonation). Just curious here...

David
Old 01-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #9
CelticHiker
Forum Regular

CelticHiker

It has the proper offsets for the normal bagpipe chanter tuning programmed in (G is -31) and you have to calibrate it to your low A using the learn feature. Once that is done, it will then show the rest of the notes as sharp or flat ( or dead on) compared to the learned A. Wouldn't be much of a piping tuner if it wasn't set up for the pipe scale

The replies above cover the operation, the little there is, fully. Basically it's a turn on, learn your low A and then start tuning type device that works great for tuning you pipe but doesn't have a bunch of other features. Just what I look for in something like a tuner! And with it on the iPhone, its pretty much always with me so no worries about forgetting the tuner for practices and parades.

Hopefully this helps.
CelticHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
David Murry
Forum Clasp

David Murry

Thanks for the input.

31 cents flat is the harmonic. I was hoping it would give the option for Just Intonation as well. Thanks much!

David