Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
policehorse1
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

policehorse1
Default easy grade 5 march

I am wanting to start solo competing grade 5 next year. What is a good easy tune to start solo competing with? Thank you for any suggestions.
policehorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
TStephens
Forum Gold Medal

TStephens
Default Re: easy grade 5 march

How about a nice traditional 2-parted tune? Here are a couple.
Brown Haired Maiden
Teribus

It is very easy to overextend yourself, but if you take the time to really polish up one of these it will not be as big a step as tackling a 4-parted tune. If at the end of the competition season you feel you did well and played your tune as well as you are able, then you might feel more comfortable tackling a 4-parted tune the following year.

Best of luck to you however you decide to go.
TStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
ratherbpiping
Holy smoking keyboard!

ratherbpiping

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStephens View Post
How about a nice traditional 2-parted tune? Here are a couple.
Brown Haired Maiden
Teribus
Depends on the rules out in Georgia. HEre in WUSPBA there is no Grade five solo on pipes. Pleasantong offers an unsantioned Grade five Practice Chanter for which a 2 parted tune is called for.

When I had students at that level, I suggested Highland Laddie. IT is a pleasure to hear Highland Laddie played at a slow tempo with expression rather than the race tempo expressionless tune moset massed bands play.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
TStephens
Forum Gold Medal

TStephens

I agree - Highland Laddie well played would be a good choice. When I was a beginner, this was a challenging tune for me.
TStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

TwitchyFingers

High Road to Gareloch. Good for D throws, C doublings with E gracenotes, and Birls.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
jennykate
Forum Regular

jennykate
Send a message via AIM to jennykate Send a message via Yahoo to jennykate Send a message via Skype™ to jennykate

If the rules say it must be a 4 parter, Miss Delicia Chisholm is an easy one that gets you working those low G's on your D throws!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
Bob Budesa
Forum Silver Medal

Bob Budesa
Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Budesa

Karen McKenzie wrote a pretty, and easy 4-parted 2/4 march entitled P.M. Robert Caudill. You'll find the tune on page 6 in Bruce Gandy's 4th volume of Contemporary and Traditional Music.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:04 AM   #8
EagleJCS
Forum Silver Medal

EagleJCS

EUSPBA Grade 5 is practice chanter only. From the 2012 EUSpBA rules:
"Grade 5 is restricted to those playing the practice chanter only in competition and is not open to those playing the bagpipe in band
competition. Grade 5 does not require membership in the EUSPBA. The musical requirement is one four-parted or two different two parted
marches in 2/4, 4/4, or 6/8 time."

Since the OP lives in Georgia, perhaps he/she is a member of SUSPBA.

SUSPBA has a Grade 5: "V- 29 & under, and V- 30 & over". According to the SUSPBA rules, grade 5 competes with "1 (2 parts minimum) march, any time signature".

BTW, Karen McKenzie now goes by Karen Brumley.

Last edited by EagleJCS; 10-23-2012 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Typos
EagleJCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
policehorse1
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

policehorse1

I'm sorry I am a piper with a grade 5 band, but yes I will be competing grade 4sr for solo. Thank you for all of your suggestions, keep em coming.
policehorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:33 AM   #10
Bruce Wright
Holy smoking keyboard!

Bruce Wright

4-parted tunes are not necessarily any harder than 2-parted tunes - 51st Highland Division at Wadi Akarit and Prince Charles' Welcome to Lochaber are both of approximately the same level of difficulty as High Road to Gairloch and Brown Haired Maiden. There are also 4-parted versions of the latter two tunes, but they're very rarely heard.

I'm not so sure Highland Laddie is a good choice, even at a slower tempo - it's relatively difficult for less experienced pipers. The idea isn't to play something "challenging" but to play something you can do well - work on the "challenging" music for later. Everyone's different, of course, and if you don't find Highland Laddie to be all that difficult, by all means go for it - it's a great tune. I'd strongly suggest you ask your teacher, however - they may have other suggestions that would be a good fit for your current level.

--Bruce