Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-14-2013, 05:07 AM   #1
Banchory Rob
Forum Regular

Default How much do you charge?

After the band being reformed some 3-4 years ago, we are now regularly being asked to play at various events. When dealing with community events, we do not charge, but we always receive a donation and we are happy with that arrangement.

However, we are getting more requests for "commercial" events, and we never know what to charge! Can anyone suggest a rate for:-

Single Piper - Wedding
Mini Band (< 10 players) - Wedding
Band (20-30 players) - Wedding
Single Piper - Funeral
Single Piper - Corporate Event (such as
Mini Band (10 players) - Corporate Event
Band (20-30 players) - Corporate Event

I appreciate that Graded bands can probably charge more, and that it appears that there are more bands in the US than Scotland and thus rates will be different , but all I am after is confirmation that we are charging roughly the correct amount. I also realise that a Wedding could mean anything from 10 minutes through to several sessions spread over a day, but I am just after rough figures.

Many thanks for your help.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Banchory Rob
Forum Regular

Default Re: How much do you charge?

Thank you to those that have PM'd, some interesting regional differences
Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

These days, I tend more and more to the view that for n performers, you charge n times the single performers fee, plus whatever expenses for travelling and feeding. Try booking a string quartet sometime - and it's not like they're snowed under with work either!

The other advantage of this approach is that people who approach you will have been sent by people you've previously worked for, and are hence also likely to be comfortable with the fee.

Exceptions can be made for folk festivals on the Spanish coast.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

see PM. ( and at least 10 other characters for the sake of posting)
Old 02-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
Gary Guth
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banchory Rob View Post
After the band being reformed some 3-4 years ago, we are now regularly being asked to play at various events. When dealing with community events, we do not charge, but we always receive a donation and we are happy with that arrangement.

However, we are getting more requests for "commercial" events, and we never know what to charge! Can anyone suggest a rate for:-

Single Piper - Wedding
Single Piper - Funeral

I appreciate that Graded bands can probably charge more, and that it appears that there are more bands in the US than Scotland and thus rates will be different , but all I am after is confirmation that we are charging roughly the correct amount. I also realise that a Wedding could mean anything from 10 minutes through to several sessions spread over a day, but I am just after rough figures.

Many thanks for your help.
Being in the business, there are a few things to keep in mind before quoting any price. Time and distance are primary. In selling there is a saying: "He who mentions price first loses." I would ask them what kind of budget that have in place to hire a band or piper. Sometimes it might be more than you might have quoted. What do you feel that your time and experience are worth? If they quote you a budget and it isn't enough, you then need to tell them exactly what you plan to do and what you are willing to take for that service. You might be surprised that they take your offer. Good luck.
Gary Guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
Josh Whitson
Forum Clasp

Any chance you can post a summary of the PMs without naming names so everyone remains anonymous? I'm interested to see the prices.
Josh Whitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
flares2
Forum Gold Medal

I agree with Josh, it'd be nice to see some figures. People get really sensitive when it comes to money and no one likes to talk about how much they make or what to charge so then the new guys get hosed agreeing to play a 2 hour gig for 50 bucks.

In my area and from my experience it seems people charge a combo of what they think they're worth and how much people are willing to pay them. Solo pipers for weddings/funerals in my town go from $100-$500 with the average being around $200.

But it's all about what your market is willing to pay as well. We've all had the bride's mother that gets angry when we tell her a solo piper for a wedding costs more than 50 bucks, even if it is "just for one song." Then again I once charged $350 for an out of town wedding and the couple tipped me an extra $100.

I look at it like, in local churches, an organist charges $200 for a wedding, a cantor is $150, why shouldn't a piper be at least that much if not more because we're a rarer breed.

In regards to band, one band I play in (that doesn't compete) has a standard rule that it's $800 minimum if it's out of town. Local events are a little less and of course there's almost never a charge for charitable/military events.
flares2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

My fees are listed on my homepage.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
David Corbett
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banchory Rob View Post

Single Piper - Wedding
Single Piper - Funeral
I'm looking forward to the day that 10 players can be considered a "mini-band", in this area, anything over 8 is usually pretty much the whole band. Guess it's back to recruiting!
Old 02-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #10
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'd like to know what couple is hiring 20-30 players for a wedding!!