Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
duddle sack
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

duddle sack
Default Redpipes

Interested in anyone who owns a set of Redpipes, wanted to find out how if they work well, and what they thought, thank you.
duddle sack is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Paul Nordin

Paul Nordin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Redpipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by duddle sack View Post
Interested in anyone who owns a set of Redpipes, wanted to find out how if they work well, and what they thought, thank you.
I have a set and use them when playing live with a folk/metal band. They are great for that type of thing. Signal comes out and goes through my pedal board and a volume controlling foot pedal. In that configuration, blending in with the band and sounding epic with reverb and delay is great. Key changes only take a turn of the dial. I tend to use the GHB sound on the Redpipes, and occasionally MIDI out to Studio Pipes Uilleann samples.

I also use them when I just want to quietly work out some fingering late at night. Similar in that regard to the Technopipes, but the sounds are quite a bit superior on the Redpipes. They normally require a modest amount of bag pressure to activate the sounds, but nothing like blowing the GHB. Press a little (or blow a little) and the drones turn on, a little more and the chanter comes to life.
Paul Nordin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
magsevenband
Forum Silver Medal

magsevenband

I've had my Caledonia model for about 2 years and love them...I'm currently doing a CD that will feature them on several cuts...You can hear my recording of Rod Stewart's Forever Young on the "Tour Dates" page of my website featuring both the smallpipes setting of the RedPipes and Highland Pipes

www.theroyalpiper.com

Cheers,
Al
Old 07-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
duddle sack

duddle sack

Thanks for the feed back on the Redpipes, I will be ordering a set soon.
duddle sack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:12 AM   #5
DannyBoy2k
Forum Silver Medal

DannyBoy2k is on a distinguished road

I love my Caledonia Redpipes. I purchased them solely as a practice instrument due to long work days and early to bed young ones and my desire to get more time on the "big pipes". It's as close-to-real-without-being-real as you can get, I think. Pricey but worth it if you're serious about learning and in a similar position as me.

~Dan
DannyBoy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:51 AM   #6
kingric
Forum Gold Medal

kingric

Do Redpipes offer any advantages (for practice) compared to electronic chanters, such as Fagerstrom technopipes?

I may be going on a foreign assignment for a couple of years and living in a flat where I won't be able to play the pipes. I already have technopipes, which I like very much. But I wonder whether a set of Redpipes would add any value -- that is, would they help to compensate for the lack of practice on the big pipes? (I hope to find a place where I can play the big pipes a few times a month to keep them in playing condition, but daily piping will be out unfortunately.)

Richard