Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
Rick
Forum Regular

Default Hamon reeds in Firesides

I bought a set of Gibson Firesides a while back. Well made instrument, and I thought that once I got the hang of it's individual quirks, I would have an added dimension to my piping. After a brief honeymoon period, the reeds started to be trouble. I had a problem with steadiness (it's possible I don't have the proper control to keep the pressure where they like it. No problem with the GHB though.). The "shut-off" function of the stocks was a bit finicky, so I had to resort to plugs for tuning. I was reaching the point where I was starting to consider selling them, and putting the money towards a different set of pipes.
I spotted a set of Seth Hamon reeds on e-bay, and figured I'd give them a try. Turns out to have been a good choice. I really like the sound and steadiness of the reeds. Shut off with a simple tap, just like the GHB, makes tuning a lot easier. Very little fuss setting them up. Just hemped them up, made some minor adjustments to the bridles and I was up and running. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone with a set of Firesides. I'm a happy camper. Once I get the chanter reed sorted out, I'll be a very happy camper.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
RichPiotrowski
Forum Regular

Default Re: Hamon reeds in Firesides

Hi Rick,

I use Seth's reeds in my firesides too.

The drone shut off valves work better if you lube them up with wax from a toliet bowl seal.

Here's a link to some info from Gibson

http://www.facebook.com/notes/gibson...s/317692441897

Henderson's also has some good info

http://www.hendersongroupltd.com/lib...s_fireside.asp
RichPiotrowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
Rick
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Once I get the chanter reed sorted out, I'll be a very happy camper.
Problem solved. I got a new chanter reed, also from Seth Hamon (no, I have no connection with him other than as a customer). It was pretty much plug and play. I am indeed happy again with the sound of the Firesides.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
PSoutowood
Forum Member

Glad it got sorted. Those double-bladed Gibson drone reeds are really horrible and make you think you've regressed years in your playing ability. Out of curiousity, are the reed seats in your firesides conical? I have Gibson Ceilidh pipes and had some trouble getting Seth's drone reeds to sit snugly in there because the cone tapered so steeply in the drones that the reeds wanted to wobble out.

-Peter
PSoutowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
Steve Anderson
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via MSN to Steve Anderson Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Anderson Send a message via Skype™ to Steve Anderson

Which reeds in particular are they? I used Seths reeds in most of my pipes - based on his reed availability - but never in smallpipes.
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
PSoutowood
Forum Member

I don't know if they have a type, it's the custom ones he makes for Ceilidh and Fireside pipes. Nice reeds and steady!

-Peter
PSoutowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
Rick
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSoutowood View Post
Out of curiousity, are the reed seats in your firesides conical? -Peter
I don't have a small enough caliper to check for sure, but they appear to have a slight taper, nothing steep at all. I had no trouble getting the reeds to seat properly
Old 10-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
RichPiotrowski
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
I don't have a small enough caliper to check for sure, but they appear to have a slight taper, nothing steep at all. I had no trouble getting the reeds to seat properly
When I first switched over to Hamon reeds I had a similar problem with the reeds coming loose. I had to add a little more waxed hemp to the reeds and then install them more firmly. Haven't had any problems since.

At least the shut off valves on the firesides prevent the drone reeds from falling into the bag.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #9
alsrx
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Where can the Hamon reeds be ordered from?
Old 10-24-2013, 03:43 AM   #10
RichPiotrowski
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsrx View Post
Where can the Hamon reeds be ordered from?
Here's Seth's website

http://swedishbagpipes.com/