Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Piobaireachd
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Piobaireachd For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
Ron Teague
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Noodeling around the P/S web site

Today is a rare day that I don't have to work. So what to do? I went to the Venerable P/S web site and it keeps getting cooler and cooler. I listened to the Desperate Battle (of the Birds) played by both Andrew Wright and Robert Reid, or what some people think was Robert Reid. What a difference! The First variation was rounder by Wright and clipped in an interesting way by Reid. And the differences build up throughout the performances. Have a listen, you won't be dissapointed.

Oh you have to be a member to get to this, but is is cheap enough and you get lots and lots of good stuff for your dues.

The Cheesy Piobaireachd Player
Ron Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
tanks hobyman
Forum Member

Default Re: Noodeling around the P/S web site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Teague View Post
Today is a rare day that I don't have to work. So what to do? I went to the Venerable P/S web site and it keeps getting cooler and cooler. I listened to the Desperate Battle (of the Birds) played by both Andrew Wright and Robert Reid, or what some people think was Robert Reid. What a difference! The First variation was rounder by Wright and clipped in an interesting way by Reid. And the differences build up throughout the performances. Have a listen, you won't be dissapointed.

Oh you have to be a member to get to this, but is is cheap enough and you get lots and lots of good stuff for your dues.

Thank you Ron for that bit of info. I was at the Northern Meeting in 1970 when Wright won his 2nd Gold Medal with this tune. Had no idea that there was a recording of Reid playing it. Regardless, I have finally seen the light and will be getting my membership ASAP.

Tanks
tanks hobyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
MonRiver
Forum Member

What is P/S?
MonRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:15 AM   #4
Roger Huth

http://www.piobaireachd.co.uk/

Roger Huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
MonRiver
Forum Member

Thank you! I'll have a listen on my laptop later--the site requires flash (something my iPad does not have.)
MonRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #6
tanks hobyman
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Teague View Post

I return to this forum, now a bona fide member of the P/S. Boy, Ron wasn't kidding. The piobaireachd tune list, alone, is worth the dues. Tons of tunes and some really great performances. Also, lots of interesting and informative articles about the playing of piobaireachd.

Had a listen to both Reid and Wright playing the Desperate Battle. Two different settings played on two different, but lovely pipes - Reid playing at a flatter pitch (maybe 466) and Wright probably up into the low 470's. Couldn't help favoring Wright's performance on a very sweet pipe.

Memory doesn't serve me well as to all the nuances of Wright's Gold Medal performance at Inverness back in 1970. The recording stops short of the taorluath so we don't know if he played an a mach as did Reid and I can't remember if he did at Inverness. And for all those looking for an alternative ending to the 1st line of the Ground, Wright's choice at Inverness was to repeat the Doubling of the 2nd var. with the High A's stressed. Just lovely

Tanks
tanks hobyman is offline   Reply With Quote