Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
Gr8_Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Chris Terry Pipes

I just ordered a set from Chris in south Africa. I'd like to hear opinions on them from other pipers who have heard or played them. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:43 PM   #2
RichmondPiper
Forum Regular

Default Re: Chris Terry Pipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8_Piper View Post
I just ordered a set from Chris in south Africa. I'd like to hear opinions on them from other pipers who have heard or played them. Thanks.
Excellent pipes, modelled on Macdougalls (John McFadyen's set in particular, I believe). Chris is a very precise and particular guy and every set I have seen is a very good one. Well made with very good tone.

I hope you like them.
RichmondPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Just googled and didn't see a website for Chris, but this site has a photo of him, along with the other band members

http://1medpipeband.co.za/members/pipers/
Old 10-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmondPiper View Post
Excellent pipes, modelled on Macdougalls (John McFadyen's set in particular, I believe). Chris is a very precise and particular guy and every set I have seen is a very good one. Well made with very good tone.

I hope you like them.
A set was played at the SPSL Pipers Club in July and the following day at Harpenden Highland Gathering by Angus Nixon, a pupil of Chris's. Excellent pipes indeed, but Angus told me that this particular bagpipe was modelled on a vintage set of Henderson's.
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
NickTaitz
Forum Regular

Angus Nixon was mistaken if he said that - no Terry set is based on a Henderson, they are all based on John MacFadyen's full silver Duncan MacDougall pipe, in terms of their inner bore. Thomas Pearston bought one after hearing Chris play his prototype. I have the 6th set Chris made, it's about 34 years old.
NickTaitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
NickTaitz
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy Livingstone View Post
A set was played at the SPSL Pipers Club in July and the following day at Harpenden Highland Gathering by Angus Nixon, a pupil of Chris's. Excellent pipes indeed, but Angus told me that this particular bagpipe was modelled on a vintage set of Henderson's.
All Terry's are exact bore replicas of John MacFadyen's D MacDougall. Angus's set is no exception... Chris terry was a pupil of John MacFadyen's in the late seventies, and was lent this pipe which he measured. It was a full silver Duncan MacDougall, and MacFadyen did not use it for competing, he used a Henderson. Terry pipes are equal in manufacturing standards to nay pipe you can buy, with polished bores like mirrors. Great pipes.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #7
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTaitz View Post
All Terry's are exact bore replicas of John MacFadyen's D MacDougall. Angus's set is no exception... Chris terry was a pupil of John MacFadyen's in the late seventies, and was lent this pipe which he measured. It was a full silver Duncan MacDougall, and MacFadyen did not use it for competing, he used a Henderson. Terry pipes are equal in manufacturing standards to nay pipe you can buy, with polished bores like mirrors. Great pipes.
Thanks for the info Nick. I am familiar with the instrument which these pipes were modelled upon & heard John MacFadyen's eldest son Cameron play it many times. Perhaps I misunderstood Angus.
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:35 AM   #8
NickTaitz
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy Livingstone View Post
Thanks for the info Nick. I am familiar with the instrument which these pipes were modelled upon & heard John MacFadyen's eldest son Cameron play it many times. Perhaps I misunderstood Angus.
Always happy to give info on the Terry pipes, Roddy, it's a pleasure. Chris Terry always says the prototype, which you are familiar with, was a really amazing pipe which stayed in tune almost magically! I wonder if it is being played still?