Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Old Hendersons, drone suggestions

I've been seeing a string of queries lately relating to people's thoughts on drone reed pairings/mixtures for their particular make of pipes.

After a recent lesson with my instructor, I've been tempted to do the same, in order to maybe get some additional input. So here goes ...

I'm playing an old, 1910s set of cocuswood Hendersons. Lately, I've been playing them with Redwood tenors, and a cane bass.

Personally, I really, really like the sound. The bass is booming, but my instructor doesn't really like it. Says the tenors and bass don't blend together.

Everyone's different though, and so far, I don't quite agree. It seems to me, my instructor isn't keen on how loud and booming the bass is, whereas I love it that way. But I've also noticed that it can be a bit difficult to really, really get them fine tuned.

Mind you, I'm not discounting my instructor's view, but I am curious as to what various folks have found. This is all highly subjective.

I've experimented with a bunch of things, and along with cane reeds and Redwoods, I also have Kinnaird Evolutions and Ezeedrones kicking around. I also ordered an Armstorng bass reed, still waiting for that to come in.

What are people's thoughts, in regard to older, larger-bore pipes?

Thanks all,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-08-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Old Hendersons, drone suggestions

Sounds like you're set to me. You've acquired every reed I'd recommend to try.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #3
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
Sounds like you're set to me. You've acquired every reed I'd recommend to try.
Ha, there's a reason for that Patrick ... your online musings have definitely given me lots of guidance on various reeds to try.

Thanks for that!

I'm thinking I just like a loud, booming bass, and my instructor doesn't. Every time I flick on that bass, I start to devilishly smirk, a little.

I'm anxious to see how the X-treme bass sounds ... especially since I'm anxious to find a bass reed that's a little less prone to having issues with changes in conditions. My practice space is sweltering and bone dry this time of year, and in the summer, the AC would make polar bears run to hibernate (but it'll be hot as anything and humid outside).

Also, I definitely find that the cane bass will shift majorly, in warming up. The tenors will move down the pin about 1/4 of a inch or so, while the bass can end up a good inch and a half lower on the pin once it's "settled in."

Once that cane bass IS settled though, man ... I could play for an hour straight, and that thing is not going ANYWHERE.

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 01-08-2018, 06:42 PM   #4
HighlandPark
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have a set of WWI era cocus wood Hendersons (check website below) that could well be the stablest set I have ever played. Only the bass really needs to be tweaked once you get them up and running. I don't know if it's the wood or the bores, or a combination thereof, but it is quite remarkable.

I have a few reeds to experiment with but have only really played matching sets of Kinnaird Carbon, Kinnaird Evolution, and Rocket Reeds; while all sound quite good, I have stuck with the Evolutions as their tone is quite sublime, followed by the Carbons, and Rockets, IMHO. I know that some find Evolutions or Carbons a little buzzy but I don't really find that with my pipes (including my travel poly Dunbars) and certainly not these Hendersons. Some believe that cocus wood (and ebony) tend to take the sharp edge off of tone, compared to other materials.

I have a set of Ezeedrones IRs I would like to try in these Hendersons. I suspect the bass would be moderated a little with the inverted bass, as it is in a set of Colin Kyos I have tried them in. There is nothing wrong with a big bass, integrated or not!

Last edited by HighlandPark; 01-08-2018 at 06:53 PM.
HighlandPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:18 PM   #5
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Playing a similar (slightly older in fact) set of Cocus Henderson's, I have found Ezee 'long' tenors and the 'short inverted' bass give a very balanced and stable tone - and everything tunes just where it should to get the best sound.
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:07 AM   #6
Søren E. Larsen
Forum Silver Medal

Also playing a similar set of Hendersons, although mine are ebony, and I use either X-treme or Ezeedrone tenor reeds and an older Kinnaird or a Henderson carbon deluxe bass reed. I find the X-treme bass reed has a nice smooth sound but too quiet to blend properly with the tenors.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:38 AM   #7
gisahag
Forum Silver Medal

My Hendy’s are similar age to yours, but probably ABW. Of the reeds I’ve tried I like Cannings with carbon fibre bass the best, but the original Kinnairds are a very close second. I found the Xtremes very good too, but a bit mellower than the Cannings or Kinnairds, and the bass tuned extremely low on the tuning pin.
I’ve also tried the following
Henderson harmonics (quite liked these) and deluxe (couldn’t get them to strike in reliably) Crozier cane tongues (tenors had an annoying tendency to squeal before settling), Balance tones (couldn’t get them to work reliably in these pipes , but are great in others) and Ezeedrone (found bridle adjustment very frustrating and gave up without really playing them)
Neil
gisahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #8
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

I play Ezeedrone tenors and a Henderson Harmonic Deluxe bass (circa 1910 blackwood Henderson). I have previously used Canning bass reeds (the type with the carbon-fibre tongue, not the plastic ones) and that worked very well, too. I've always played ezee tenors and haven't found a compelling reason to switch to anything else.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:43 AM   #9
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, very helpful.

I formerly would pretty much use Kinnaird with/for everything. It wasn't until I'd gotten this Henderson set that I started looking and listen around at alternatives.

Forgot to say, got my hands on some Rockets a while back, unknown specs. I wasn't particularly impressed. But to be fair, I rather like high volume, and I'd had Kinnaird Evolutions in before the Rockets, so it's possible my ear was a bit prejudiced at the time. The Kinnairds, overall, were quite loud.

Canning, I hadn't thought about those. Food for thought there.

Also, the short inverted bass from Ezee Drone, that's a thought.

In time, I may try to go back to all cane in all drones. I had that going for a while, but keeping them all calibrated well was definitely a bit of a chore, and I wanted to be able to get playing quicker ... maximize time playing, rather than tinkering.

I think I might first simply see what happens when I pop in the X-Treme bass, that's on it's way. If the Xtreme bass proves to be a tad mellower, that might make my instructor happy. Hopefully that'll arrive soon, and we'll see how that goes. I also may try swapping in the Ezee Drone or Kinnaird tenors for a while and see what change that brings. I THINK I've also got an original Kinnaird set of reeds around ... somewhere.

I post an update after I've had some time trying these things out.

Thanks again everyone, really appreciate it.

Cheers,
~Nate
Old 01-09-2018, 12:19 PM   #10
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Second hand Rockets can be iffy due to the varied specs. Were these carbon fiber tongues or glass fiber? Carbon fiber ones are all mellower, fwiw.
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote