Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Technique & Instrument Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Archive Old threads from the Technique and Instrument Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-07-2006, 02:30 PM   #1
Alex G
Forum Regular

Default Regular / Inverted drone reeds

What is the difference in sound/tone etc. between regular and inverted cane drone reeds?
Is there any advantage between one or the other?
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-07-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
TxAggie
Forum Regular

Default Re: Regular / Inverted drone reeds

Coming from an admitted novice, but one who has done a bit of experimentation and lots of tweaking with a few different types of reeds, I don't know that there is any sound or tone difference between regular and inverted drone reeds of the same make. I understand (and have experienced) that inverted bass drones tend to be a bit more civilized and forgiving on the strike in, there being less of a tendancy to howl or double-tone.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:50 PM   #3
Iain Sherwood
Holy smoking keyboard!

Generally only the bass is inverted; inversion gives a steadier bass drone less likely to roar in some pipes.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
reprosser
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Generally only the bass is inverted
And why is that ? Tenors don't respond well to inversion - or they are not disposed to roaring, so they don't need it ? Has anyone played inverted Tenor reeds ? Does anyone make them ?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:12 PM   #5
Randy J. Homer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally posted by reprosser:
Has anyone played inverted Tenor reeds ? Does anyone make them ?
I play Wygent DuaTones with the tenors inverted. The reed seat is threaded into the body with the same thread that the plug uses on the other end. If you wish, you may remove both seat and tuning plug, then reinstall them on opposite ends to invert the tongues - essentially 'turn the reed upside down.' In the inverse position, the tenors play slightly sharper and more mellow.

The one drawback to my McDougalls has been the less dominant bass than what I like. (I'm used to playing Henderson's with the band.) By mellowing the tenors, the balance is more what I like with the 'Andre' bass more pronounced. I'm still breaking things in, but so far I like this set-up.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:04 AM   #6
Patrick Piper
Forum Gold Medal

Reeding the tenor drones is simply not as problematic as reeding the bass drone. Probably not as many moving parts.

Inverting the bass drone reed CAN have a positive affect on strike-ins, steadyness and tone, but not always. It can help cure a roaring drone. That's usually a drone and reed combination that can not sustain proper air column. Inverting the reed puts the working portion of the reed's tongue in a totally different part of the stock and air flow dynamics are obviously different with this orientation. The tone is usually more mellow or not as loud and the orientation tends to cause the drone to tune higher.

Pat