Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Technique & Instrument Archive
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Archive Old threads from the Technique and Instrument Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-07-2006, 12:10 PM   #1
squid piper
Forum Regular

Default Kron Original Question

Are they patterned after David Glen Bagpipes? How much do Kron original drones REALLY compare to Glens sound?
Anyone out there who has had the opportunity to play both?
Old 11-07-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
Thom Moore
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Kron Original Question

I just received a custom set Kron-Atherton "David Glen"-style drones in well seasoned ebony with full imitation ivory mounts, and I am extremely pleased with them. Dave Atherton and Charley Kron truly are two of the great geniuses of the pipe-making world today -- don't worry, I get no freebies for saying that.

I've always been a big fan of the original, "Glen"-style Kron bores. Dan Lyden, a top grade 1 player now with City of Washington, plays a set of very basic Krons with the original Glen bores, and they just sound terrific. I do like the Heritage bores, as well. The Glen bores produce a more focused and overall somewhat quieter and sweeter / warmer timbre, whereas the Heritage bores allow for a really robust sound. It really is just a matter of what you're looking for, as well as how you blow. I tend to like more resistance and a smaller sound to start out with, since I "push" the sound and blow fairly hard. When I "push" a smaller-sounding instrument, I get a bit more sweetness. When I "push" an already robust instrument, I get a foghorn.

Now to address your comparison question: I also own a set of circa 1930 David Glen & Sons "cocoa" / "cocus"-wood drones, and I have to say that it really is a toss-up between these and the new Kron-Atherton drones as to sound. I think that the bass drone timbre on the Kron-Athertons definitely has the edge -- it is rich, sweet, and full, and locks in to the chanter immediately. The 1930 Glens are lighter in sound overall, which is nice for ceol mor, but the new Kron-Athertons are, I think, more versatile. I've only had this instrument for a couple of weeks, but I have to say that it's the nicest "new" bagpipe I've ever received, and one of the top 2-3 I've owned so far. (I like to swap and trade a lot, usually at a $$ loss, but it's a big part of the fun of piping for me -- I just like to see what other sounds are out there!)

Good luck, Thom
Old 11-08-2006, 07:35 AM   #3
Bob Lyman_dup1
Forum Regular

I've been playing Kron originals for six years now and all I can hoestly say the sound is superb. While I like the Heritage sound (Henderson) I much prefer the Glen sound which is a bit more subdued. After all the drones are supposed to support the chanter not dominate it!
Old 11-08-2006, 08:26 PM   #4
squid piper
Forum Regular

Thanks guys! On what year model Glen are the Kron originals based? I see a few Kron Heritage going for sale every now and then but, I don't think I've ever seen a Kron Original for sale.?
Old 11-09-2006, 05:55 AM   #5
dibble
Forum Regular

Dave made this set for me a few years ago. I'f I could afford another set of drones, I'd have him make its twin.

custom drones
Old 11-11-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
jsragman77
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally posted by Thom Moore:
I just received a custom set Kron-Atherton "David Glen"-style drones in well seasoned ebony with full imitation ivory mounts, and I am extremely pleased with them.
That ebony was already 15 yrs old in 1997 when I purchased it.

I've not heard or played drones like your ebonies. My pink-ivory pipes are close though.

Let's explore why: 25/32 stock bores (common for Edinburgh makers-Sinclair still bores 25/32 and Naill bores a metric size very close to 25/32); bass and tenor bottoms 11/32; bass mid 27/64; bass top 9/16; bass bush .570; tenor top 17/32; tenor bush .540; tenor tuning chamber .656 x 3.125; bass tuning chambers .688 x 3.875.

Most pre-1925 makes of pipes have tenor bottoms measuring 21/64, however I've measured numerous bores measuring 11/32 even from the same maker. I'm sure it's possible the maker decided to transform a bass bottom into a tenor bottom because of a defect.

Today's Sinclair drones have bass and tenor bottoms measuring 8.6 mm (.339 which is .005 narrower than 11/32 inside diam). The Sinclair bass mid is 10.6 mm (.417 which is .005 narrower than 27/64 of Glen's bass mid). Sinclair tops are narrower than Glen by about 1/32.

I've never known pipers who've had pipes similarly bored complain about steadiness, reedability, power projection, or timber.

Disclaimer: All makers have varied/will vary their bores, profiles, and mount shapes over time. My personal all-time faves are the ones in Thom Moore's ebony pipes.

Mark
Old 11-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #7
Thom Moore
Forum Gold Medal

Mark Lee wrote:
Quote:
Disclaimer: All makers have varied/will vary their bores, profiles, and mount shapes over time. My personal all-time faves are the ones in Thom Moore's ebony pipes.
They ARE amazing! I feel very lucky to have persuaded Dave to make 'em for me, and grateful to you for telling me about that ebony. Thanks again, Mark. -Thom
Old 11-11-2006, 04:41 PM   #8
squid piper
Forum Regular

Were you in contact with Charlie/Dave personally or did you go to one thier distributers? Sounds as if anyone else wanted to purchase a set like yours they would be outta luck. Very one a kind!
Thanks for all the info.
I love hearing about those pipes!
Old 11-11-2006, 05:40 PM   #9
Thom Moore
Forum Gold Medal

I recommend exploring this through ToneCzar, aka Chris Hamilton. Chris frequently gets really nice and indeed unique sets directly from Charley and Dave, and he can significantly help in your decision about exact specs, woods, mounts, etc. Best of luck! -Thom
Old 11-11-2006, 05:45 PM   #10
Major.P
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by dibble:
Dave made this set for me a few years ago. I'f I could afford another set of drones, I'd have him make its twin.

custom drones
I saw Dibble's coustom pipes a little while back while seating people at a bagpipe concert. I had to stop and take a look at them. I could tell they were Kron's before I even asked about them. A few moments later he fired them up to play solo, they were sweet!
Heck of a good piper to.

After all the sets of pipes I've been through over the years I can say that you won't find a set pipes with timber as good as what Charlie uses for his day to day sets of pipes. Every set is first class and the tone is outstanding from the get-go.
With other makers if your a hot shot they will pull select wood off the self for you. With Kron everyone gets treated to select wood.

btw. I don't know anyone from Kron bagpipes at all and have never talked to them personaly.