Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-17-2004, 08:11 AM   #1
Jürgen Rech
Forum Clasp

Default 3/4 Marches

Hallo,

this is a move from the "music" forum:

every now and then there appears the question about the weird notation of retreat marches: the pick-up notes are very regularily put behind the barline which is obviously wrong according to the rules of writing music. The answer is: "it's tradition".

Who can put light on this secret where and when and by whome and of what explicit reason this habit has been created?

Jurgen
Old 05-25-2004, 03:49 PM   #2
The Pipe Guy
Forum Clasp

Default Re: 3/4 Marches

Nor does marching to 3/4 time make any sense. When did all this begin and why?
Old 05-26-2004, 05:24 AM   #3
HepcatBob
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick G:
When did all this begin and why?
See PiperD's response in the "B Gracenote" thread.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:28 AM   #4
Chairman Mao
Holy smoking keyboard!

Why does marching to a 3/4 not make any sense? Because you keep switching back and forth on the lead foot? 9/8s do that too, no big deal. I don't get the problem.

What I do find a wee bit odd is having a couple of 4 pace rolls intro-ing something that's based on a 3... Count to 4 to play in 3. That's just weird.

As to those pick-up notes - I've heard from older folks that the English military are responsible for this occuring. I can't remember the details, but I seem to recall a man saying to me that the English moved some (but not all) 3/4 marches over the barline, thus removing the pick-up notes in such tunes as Green Hills.

But again, why?

Could have something to do with making the words for the tunes incoherent (just try to sing "There was a soldier, a Scottish soldier" and move the pick-up of "there was" to being a strong down beat - it's hard). And knowing the English had this thing about the Scottish and their tunes...

One thing it does do is add an interesting pulse to the music against the drum score, remembering that a lot of this is about marching around, and I guess it's easier to make the pipers change something than get all the drummers to change something It becomes more of a march, and less of a waltz, and you haven't done anything extraordinary, really.

The Meeting of the Waters setting in the SG1, which most people do think of as a blunderous mistake, might be a clue though. I've heard a lot of (non-competition) bands call the tune and when they do the guys kind of all look at each other and say something like "Remember, this tune starts really quickly on the right foot..."

So... Maybe the English regiments were having a little problem with their strike-in's on tunes with pick-up notes, and since every 3/4 has a pick-up note they just moved the tune down the bar a bit to get a better, cleaner strike-in?

Simple enough, and you know, it works for me.

Scott
Chairman Mao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 11:03 AM   #5
Dryburgh
Forum Regular

English Military, English Bands ??

I thought all pipe bands in the British Army were / are Scottish or Irish ?

JH
Dryburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:43 PM   #6
Don't engage Daegan with Hypocrisy
Holy smoking keyboard!

Aliens... Always blame it on aliens.

Pyramids... Aliens built 'em.
How that plastic thing in a can of Guinness works... Alien technology.
Why there is a different number of hotdogs in a pack compaired to the number of buns in a bag... Alien mathematics.
How Spike Lee keeps getting to make films... Aliens run Hollywood.
Who told the drunk-monks who developed music notation as we know it today that the location of the pick-up note in tunes should be before the bar... Their alien crack suppliers.

Aliens, man... Aliens!
Daegan
Don't engage Daegan with Hypocrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 01:39 PM   #7
The Pipe Guy
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally posted by Chariman Mao: Why does marching to a 3/4 not make any sense? Because you keep switching back and forth on the lead foot? 9/8s do that too, no big deal. I don't get the problem.
I seriously doubt that any military unit could drill in cadence to 3/4 time.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:31 PM   #8
Iain Sherwood
Holy smoking keyboard!

Remember that retreat marches were played to get tired men off the parade ground after drill...

No, actually a 4/4 would make more sense. I guess it really IS aliens at work!
Iain Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 12:30 PM   #9
The Pipe Guy
Forum Clasp

Maybe it was aliens with three feet. Now that would work.

On the serious side. Would it be incorrect to assume that all 3/4 marches are retreats and that they were not meant for marching, historically speaking?
Old 05-27-2004, 01:02 PM   #10
Les Matheson
Forum Clasp

Send a message via AIM to Les Matheson

If you think of them as 6/4 marches, all the first beats of the measure fall on the left foot.

It's difficult to make a man understand something when his paycheck depends on his not understanding it. Upton Sinclair
Les Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote