Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-27-2004, 10:55 AM   #1
steelepiper
Forum Regular

steelepiper
Default Hat pin on glengarry

Upon a recent visit back East, I discovered my Grandfathers old WWI chest. Wow...he was in the Signal Corps-the 196th of the Royal Canadian Army. In the trunk were numerous trench maps, riding boots, pistols, knives made from scapnal schard,riding crops, pictures, letters, and numerous hat pins from his regiment and the CCRS-Canadian Civil Corps of Signaling.

My question is...Would wearing his regimental hat pin on my glengarry be considered Taboo or would it be O.K. to wear in his honor?
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-28-2004, 03:53 AM   #2
Adam Sanderson

Adam Sanderson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hat pin on glengarry

I personally don't see any problem with, it you are not pretending to be a member of the Signal Corps, nor are you wearing decorations that you have not merited.
I'd wear it with pride, but I'd start calling it a badge rather than a pin!
Adam Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 02:44 PM   #3
Don't engage Daegan with Hypocrisy
Holy smoking keyboard!

Hey, as long as you say you're wearing it in his honor, I think if it feels right to you and you're not in anyway telling a mis-truth (aka lie) about it, go for it -- by all means. Seems similar to me to wearing a kilt -- you're also wearing that in honor of people who came before you. I think it's good to honor them, so long as you are honorable w/ yourself. Yeah, go for it
Don't engage Daegan with Hypocrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 12:59 AM   #4
MacDinse
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

MacDinse

I think it's a great honor to your grandfather. I'm sure it would solicit many questions and, I imagine, you would proudly explain its meaning and your grandfather's service. What better way to honor him?
I'm in the military and I only take offense to those who were military items to disgrace them or to deceive you as to their "service.". Wearing an old badge of a former unit, especially an ancestor's, is okay by me.
Take care of the badge and tell the stories well!
Greg
MacDinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 11:01 PM   #5
LA157M3
Forum Regular

LA157M3

I'm glad you brought this up. I, too, have been contemplating something similar. My Grandfather was a Galveston, Texas Policeman in the 1950's and recently received his badge from my Mother.

I thought about having another one made to wear on my Glengary but wasn't sure if it would be appropriate or not.

Here's an idea: You wear your Grandfather's military badge and I'll wear my Grandfather's police badge. If anyone says anything, we can reply: "Well, Steelepiper does it!"
LA157M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 12:30 PM   #6
chad heckle
Forum Member

chad heckle

Guys,
As a WWII Reenactor, I may be able to shed some light on this subject. In pratice, this is what we do with our Class A uniforms (dress uniforms). We only wear those awards that would have been definately awarded to every soldier during WWII. I.E. theater of operations ribbon, good conduct ribon, etc. However, any ribbon that promotes bravery, i.e. purple heart, bronze star, etc. can ONLY be worn if honoring a specific person, and you must be able to present info on that person (who you must know personally) if asked, or if you are representing a relitive that served, so wearing your grandfathers badge would be completely acceptable. In fact I sometimes wear the WWII USAAF badge on my glengarry in honor of a friend of mine who served in WWII and Korea.
Hope this helps,
chad
Old 07-11-2004, 12:33 PM   #7
Davie Hunter (DundeePiper)
Forum Clasp

Davie Hunter (DundeePiper)

you have to wear medals that are NOt yours on the the opposit side to medal of your own.

Understand or did i confuse anyone, well apart from my self.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:13 PM   #8
chad heckle
Forum Member

chad heckle

Over here it is ok to wear them on the same side as we are representing an historical uniform, as that uniform would have looked 60 years agao. But again, the subject can be a very touchy one if not appraoched the right way. Like I said, we only wear the valor Ribons if representing a family member and/or close friend, and then you MUST get permission first.
chad
Old 07-22-2004, 02:49 AM   #9
Bydand
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Bydand

Twelve clansmen and a piper make a rebellion? I am reminded of the tapes I have on the subject. Although the piper said he was only a musician and should not be hanged, the British judge said "the Pipes are an Instrument of WAR as no Scots have ever marched or gone into battle without a piper" so they hanged him anyway.

Will have to pass on your saying to my friends
Bydand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 01:04 AM   #10
Holy smoking keyboard!

Just don't ask an SCA'er to officiate on this question -- IMO.
Don't engage Daegan with Hypocrisy is offline   Reply With Quote