Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-07-2007, 07:32 AM   #11
Bob Reuss
Forum Member

Default Re: WWI uniforms

Here's a color picture of the guy who posed for the Piper's Memorial - dressed as a WWI Gordon Highlanders piper:

http://pipersmemorial.ifrance.com/pi...orial/map2.htm
Bob Reuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-07-2007, 01:59 PM   #12
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

That's cool because it shows the fairly common WWI custom of wearing the gas mask bag as a sporran.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:45 AM   #13
uncle Mario Tomasone
Holy smoking keyboard!

I guess the pic is this one:

There's been quite a long discussion about this photo and you can find it here
uncle Mario Tomasone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:49 AM   #14
Adam Sanderson

This is a rather famous photo that was first published in the Daily Mail newspaper, but later became a popular postcard, entitled "Highlanders pipe themselves back from the trenches".
Copies of the postcard turn up every so often on eBay.
I own two colour copies, one is coloured to show the tartan as being Gordon, the other is coloured to show the tartan as being Seaforth!
Adam Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 10:18 AM   #15
ceolo
Forum Member

Thanks. Yes, since the original photo was black and white, (later to be coloured in various ways) I was not sure what uniform (and colours) they were actually wearing.

Thanks Bob for the link to the color photo, exactly what I was hoping to find. Thanks pancelticpiper
for the detailed information on the uniforms. Thanks for pointing out the gas mask bag as sporran. I wouldn't have noticed that.
ceolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:21 AM   #16
piper909
Forum Silver Medal

I believe that the Gordon pipers (and the regiment as a whole) wore red/black diced hose during the world wars, to judge from photos. The red/white pattern is more recent, either post WWI or post WWII (I'd have to be at home with my books to check). Also, not forgetting that after 1915, it was much more common to find drab-colored grey or khaki hosetops being worn than the colored patterns.
piper909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:34 PM   #17
ceolo
Forum Member

Thanks very much. Interestingly I was watching last night,Canadian Prime Minister Steven Harper, accompanied by Queen Elizabeth and French Prime Minister Dominique at the the very moving ceremonies commemorating the 90th anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge.
ceolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:41 PM   #18
Sean A. McCartney
Forum Clasp

Adam;
How did you get the 2 copies? E-Bay???
Old 04-14-2007, 07:19 AM   #19
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

piper909: yes in the Gordons the rest of the regiment wore red and black hosetops. I don't know when the pipers went to red and white, but a photo of the pipers (1887) and a photo of the pipe major (1903) show Gordon tartan full hose worn with buckled brogues. A painting showing a piper (1910) shows Gordon tartan hosetops worn with spats. I can't find any clear photos or paintings of Gordon pipers in WWI.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:59 PM   #20
piper909
Forum Silver Medal

I'll make some scans if anyone wants to see some pictures, but here's what I've found in a quick search of some books:

The Gordons must have switched to the red/white dress hose after WWII. Proof? The Gordon Highlanders Pipe Music Collection Vol. 1 shows several photos of the pipe band in red/black hose up until WWI. There are color paintings by noted military artist Richard Simkins showing Gordon pipers and ORs, all in red/black hose, from the 1860s through WWI (in "Uniforms of the British Army; "Scottish Military Dress" (Cochrane and Burn) illustrates a Gordon officer in the red/black hose, 1936 (plate 82); and there's a photo also from 1936 of a Gordon guard detachment on parade at Balmoral in red/black hosetops in "The Gordon Highlanders" by Christopher Sinclair-Stevenson.

All the photos I have seen so far of Gordons, pipers or OR, in WWI show the later-war drab hosetops.
piper909 is offline   Reply With Quote