Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Music Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Archive Old threads from the Music Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-17-2003, 09:57 AM   #1
Tim Connolly
Forum Member

Tim Connolly
Default Marching to Zion

I heard a pipe rendition of this hymn on an Amy Grant CD. Does anyone know if this is in the public domain and if so do you have a source for the sheet music?
I kinda pieced a rendition by ear, only had to drop down one note on the refrain cause it was out of range, but it sounds good. A lot of fun to play and hope to really get the people stirring at a sunrise service I'm playing Easter.
Best to all and a blessed Easter to all you believers
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-17-2003, 04:51 PM   #2
HepcatBob
Holy smoking keyboard!

HepcatBob
Default Re: Marching to Zion

My girlfriend has it and wanted me to learn it. I ended up doing the same thing you did. I searched the internet to try to find contact info for the folks that played it on the CD or the publisher but I came up empty. I did find a simple copy of the music on-line. I tried transposing it, but it didn't quite work out right. So I bought the CD and sat down with my PC and figured out my own arrangement. I wrote down the melody notes and then added some grace notes and embellishments where I thought they were needed. The song "Marching to Zion" is a very old hymn and it is public domain, so I don't think anyone will come looking for you.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:02 PM   #3
Bruce Wright
Holy smoking keyboard!

Bruce Wright
Default Re: Marching to Zion

The words are quite old - written by Isaac Watts (1674-1748). However the words have been set to a number of tunes, which is what you're really asking about since you won't be singing the words on the pipe. A very useful resource for this kind of question is The Cyber Hymnal, which has the words, music, and history to many popular hymns. The one you mention is on this page, which has one of the most commonly-used tunes for this hymn on it. However it also cross-references the hymn to several other tunes. If the tune on this page is the one you're looking for, it was written by Robert Lowry (1826-1899) and is safely out of copyright.

Best of luck,

--Bruce