Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Beer Tent Archive
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent Archive Old threads from the Beer Tent Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-01-2006, 05:34 AM   #1
Bill Carr
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Outrageous Uniforms

Absolutely no malicious thoughts in what I'm bringing up here, so please don't jump on me...

I've seen some outrageous uniforms in my time. One was a group of pipers from California wearing Prince Charlie jackets with bow ties, feather bonnets and horse hair sporrans. Is it an American thing to go "over the top" with mixing and matching highland dress? Have not seen it elsewhere. Take a look at the red tunic, with black watch kilt and diced Balmorals here:

(Dont mention the miniskirt kilt length)

http://www.inveraan.org/album.asp?id=15

Anyone have any more examples?

Of course this might be a historically correct depiction of an ancient highland uniform.... In which case I just made an ass of myself.

Bill Carr
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-01-2006, 05:43 AM   #2
Funkee Munkee
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Outrageous Uniforms

I don't think it is just an "American thing".
Many people across this globe are totally clueless.

Now, addressing the other item.....

I think you might be close when you mention the possibility of an ancient highland outfit. They appear to be near a rustic cabin...perhaps there was something going on here.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Carr:
Is it an American thing to go "over the top" with mixing and matching highland dress?
Old 10-01-2006, 05:44 AM   #3
Itchyknee
Holy smoking keyboard!

It's not just an american thing. You see some sights wandering about the streets in Aberdeen too.
Old 10-01-2006, 05:51 AM   #4
Bill Carr
Holy smoking keyboard!

Ok.... It's not an "American thing".... I withdraw that statement before someone sends the Marines after me

Actually there was an old guy here in Oslo who wore a tartan skirt with a handbag as a sporran and busked down town on a totally out of tune pipe... Can't beat that.

Bill
Old 10-01-2006, 06:23 AM   #5
David D.
Forum Regular

Uff dah!
Old 10-01-2006, 06:47 AM   #6
Itchyknee
Holy smoking keyboard!

This is my everyday gear. Outrageous - I don't think so.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:32 AM   #7
Curt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Aye that is fine daily wear you have there Itchyknee. Here is mine.

Old 10-01-2006, 07:34 AM   #8
Itchyknee
Holy smoking keyboard!

Nice one Curt, that looks like one handy kilt.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:41 AM   #9
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I've been going to many of the California games since the mid-1970's and I don't recall the band Bill mentions at the top here, but I have seen a lot of weird things. There are three categories of badness perhaps: 1)It's true that in areas fairly isolated from the mainstream of piping you will find out-of-fashion things still being worn. Our local example is a number of pipe bands which still wear Prince Charlies, some even with bow ties, like bands did back in the 1970's. I remember back then when pipe bands were going away from Full Dress and were looking for alternatives, which were civilian Day Dress or Evening Dress. So, you saw bands wearing lovat blue jackets and balmorals, or bands wearing Prince Charlies and bowties. Then some bands started a hybrid look, wearing Prince Charlies but with long ties. In the mainstream areas these looks pretty much died out with the evolution of the modern Pipe Band look- Argyll jackets, white hose, and Glengarries, but backwater bands still cling to the old 70's look. 2)It is common to see people at US games wearing bizarre anachronistic combinations of things- Renaissance shirts with horsehair sporrans, strange leather sacklike sporrans and great kilts worn with Dr Martens shoes, hosetops worn without spats, US military shirts (complete with hundreds of patches, badges, ribbons, etc) worn with womens' skirts and moccasins, etc etc. But I've not seen pipe bands wearing this stuff. 3)You can have "normal" Highland Dress which is just plain ugly. I saw a band at a local games that wore Prince Charlies and the hideous yellow MacLeod tartan, in fact that tartan was worn everywhere possible- tartan full hose, bagcovers, pipe ribbons, fly plaids, and even a tartan ribbon going around the base of the Balmoral bonnet! The topper was a band that came down from Canada in full dress with the ugly Buchanan tartan. Bad enough with the pipers in their dark green doublets- but the drummers were in yellow doublets!
Old 10-01-2006, 07:44 AM   #10
Curt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally posted by Itchyknee:
Nice one Curt, that looks like one handy kilt.
Aye, I know that I wear it a tad low, but the beer ya know is just too damn good. Also I need the counter weight when throwing the 56 for distance.