Bass & Tenor drumming, and the new home of tenordrummer.com discussions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there small tenor drums for youngsters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there small tenor drums for youngsters?

Need some advice, please. I haven't faced this situation before -- we have a young tenor learner, an 11-year old girl. There's no way she can carry a regular-size tenor drum, it would hang down to her ankles. What do most bands do, to outfit their youngsters? Are there smaller drums somewhere that you can still get the proper pitch and tone from? Absent any other ideas, I'm thinking I might lend her a small tom-tom off my drum kit and see if THAT works!
    If you don't pay your exorcist, you get repossessed.

Re: Are there small tenor drums for youngsters?

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
    Need some advice, please. I haven't faced this situation before -- we have a young tenor learner, an 11-year old girl. There's no way she can carry a regular-size tenor drum, it would hang down to her ankles. What do most bands do, to outfit their youngsters? Are there smaller drums somewhere that you can still get the proper pitch and tone from? Absent any other ideas, I'm thinking I might lend her a small tom-tom off my drum kit and see if THAT works!
    Or go to a ' music shop' ...or Walmart etc...And buy a right size drum ...A slightly better than toy might do at this point.

Comment

Big Dog,

I have some wee tenors in my group about the same age.. We converted some 8" toms from a trap set. We purchased new wooden rims to match our existing tenor drums.They do play closer to the body, but are just the right size. See here:

-Matthew

Comment

Thank you, guys. Matthew, I appreciate the photo also. I guess the drum kit tom is probably my best option unless somebody suggests something else. Still I'm curious as I've seen many bands with young tenor drummers and I'm wondering what they all do. Hope to get a few more responses here ...
        If you don't pay your exorcist, you get repossessed.

Comment

Adante, Pearl, Premier pay attention. Lots of bands looking for 'kid sized' tenors, the market is there. Can someone step up and get these into production?

Comment

Originally posted by Georgian Piper View Post
            Adante, Pearl, Premier pay attention. Lots of bands looking for 'kid sized' tenors, the market is there. Can someone step up and get these into production?
            If there were a market demand ...they'd all be there I think.

Little 'underaged' kids grow big...quickly. Little kids on parade photos with their mom or dad might look cute in an album. ( "aye...Gordie started learning to play pipes at age 4" ...balderdash) ...but it's hardly a lucrative whole new market share opportunity.

Give them a chance to mature mentally to better understand left from right, what is expected and required...and ever increasing physically to 'rise' to the occasion. At a certain point...even little kids ...who really absolutely ..want to do it will get it done ( playing a [I]real[/I 'big' drum) ...others will shortly come along ( with a big drum) too. Peer pressure.

Meanwhile there are workable smaller trap drums available...even at Walmart.

Comment

Working...
            X