Bass & Tenor drumming, and the new home of tenordrummer.com discussions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More than one bass..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pancelticpiper
    replied
    Re: More than one bass..?

Originally posted by CalumII View Post
    I think it makes a lot of sense to have an A and a G drum.
    I would like to hear that, if anyone can link to a video.

Bass drums tuned to Bb and Ab, in ordinary music terms. So many Highland pipe tunes are based around that "A-G-A" chord progression.

I would think, though, that it would be more likely to have the basses tuned to Bb and F (tonic and dominant in ordinary music).

Or to Bb and Eb, to help out with all the tunes in the key of "D".

Leave a comment:

• Tom MacKenzie
    replied

Toronto Police did play with two bass drummers. One bass was larger than the other. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pBpUqL7LiU

The Spirit of Scotland Version 1 played with a small bass drum turned on its side, like a tenor drum. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9ltT_9rbQw at 1:45

Bagad bands play with six bass drums! See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99tTBAVHArI

tomm

Leave a comment:

• Calum
    replied

Originally posted by David View Post
    Was there not some experimentation with two bass drums in bands, at least some kind of attempt, a few years back?

It's been done a few times over the years. I think it makes a lot of sense to have an A and a G drum.

Leave a comment:

• Tom MacKenzie
    replied

Toronto Police did play with two bass drummers. One bass was larger than the other.

The Spirit of Scotland Version 1 played with a small bass drum turned on its side, like a tenor drum.

tomm

Leave a comment:

• David
    replied

Was there not some experimentation with two bass drums in bands, at least some kind of attempt, a few years back?

Leave a comment:

• el gaitero
    replied

Originally posted by 3D Piper View Post
    I am in a unique position where have four boys wanting to play bass drum..
    What to do?
    Set up two and take turns? Pursued three onto other drums?
    We do not have a regular bass drummer right now so it is great to have this problem!

-Matthew
    Decide which is #1 and make him top gun. #2 is designated alternate. 3&4 can try again another time ...play snare or carry a flag meanwhile. Theres only 1 BD. Get competent BD coaching for all.

Leave a comment:

• 3D Piper
    started a topic More than one bass..?

More than one bass..?

I am in a unique position where have four boys wanting to play bass drum..
    What to do?
    Set up two and take turns? Pursued three onto other drums?
    We do not have a regular bass drummer right now so it is great to have this problem!

-Matthew
Working...
X