Bass & Tenor drumming, and the new home of tenordrummer.com discussions.

Tying cord to the mallets?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • anncognito
    Forum Member - Shy or Quiet
    • Oct 2004

Tying cord to the mallets?!

Hi everyone! I was trying to put some new cord on my mallets. I bought some parachute cord that was recommended and pulled the inside strings out. When I loosened the existing cords to see how they were wrapped around the stick, the mallets slipped out entirely. I recall that it was a kind of a figure-8, but when I tried to wrap the sticks from memory, it was unsuccessful. The first time I swung the mallet around it flew right out of the string.

Is there a "visual" on how to wrap the cord around the mallet stick so it will stay there, somewhere out there on the internet? I'm not sure if I'm going to get the strings back on before next practice. And yes, I feel pretty stupid and green.

Thanks for any help
    Susan
  • W. F. Morrison
    Forum Regular
    • Jan 2004

Re: Tying cord to the mallets?!

Most bass mallet handles are pretty thick. Drill a hole through the width diameter of the mallet 1/4" to 1/2" from end of mallet. Drill second hole in end of mallet that mates with side hole. Thread cord ends down through side holes with both ends coming out throught the end hole. Tie a comfortable knot in the cord ends to form a loop. Mallets can't escape the cords. Learned this trick from Bob Meade. With my fifty year old hands, I have to resort to this to keep from dropping the mallets.

Warren Morrison, Loch Norman Pipe Band

Comment

• W. F. Morrison
      Forum Regular
      • Jan 2004

P.S. Loop cords around ring finger, like a flourishing tenor.

Warren Morrison, Loch Norman Pipe Band

Comment

• Canadian
        Forum Member
        • Sep 2004

I use parachute cord for my TyFry tenor mallets . I make certain they don't come loose by attaching small plastic cable ties around the cord and end of stick after I have knotted the cord to the ends of the sticks. Use scissors to cut off excess "tail" after you have attached them. The smallest cable ties I got were about an eighth of an inch wide. They work for me. Good luck.
        And the beat goes on......

Comment

Working...
        X