Bass & Tenor drumming, and the new home of tenordrummer.com discussions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mallets for tenor drumming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mallets for tenor drumming

I'd like to hear from tenor drummers who have preference for a certain brand or type (acrylic, wood)of tenor mallet.I'd be interested in your views about the best and poorest mallets you have used (for flourishing).
    Ingenuity is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Re: Mallets for tenor drumming

Everyone has their own preference when it comes to what brand of mallet they like to use.

We have to remember though, that for every make out there, someone has put the time and effort into designing each one. Therefore, I do not feel that it is right for us to discuss, which design may be the “poorest.”

Personally, I prefer a wooden mallet because I find them easier to control.

The only reason I designed my own line of bass and tenor sticks was because I was unhappy with the sound that my corps was producing. So instead of sitting around and complaining about the sticks we were using, I designed my own in order to achieve the sound that I wanted. I would recommend this to anyone who may find themselves in a similar situation.

Just be warned! It is not as easy as you think.
    www.icgpercussion.com

Comment

I have a pretty generic set that I practice with, and I am pretty unhappy with them, so I am looking into a set of Ty-Frys, which have come highly recommended... can't wait for them to get here
      "If thy neighbor offend thee, give each of his children bagpipes"
      --Scottish proverb

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Gibson:

......The only reason I designed my own line of bass and tenor sticks was because I was unhappy with the sound that my corps was producing. So instead of sitting around and complaining about the sticks we were using, I designed my own in order to achieve the sound that I wanted. I would recommend this to anyone who may find themselves in a similar situation.

Just be warned! It is not as easy as you think.
        My sentiments exactly, Ian. Everyone has their own preferences.
        I designed my own sticks for the same reason.
        But, it was sooooo easy!

Comment

I have tried several makes of beaters over the last few years and have found that they all are manufactured to quite a high standard. I still don't think there is a 'perfect' beater out there, otherwise we'd all be playing it. My personal preference is the TyFry Platinum.

Different qualities please different people. It may just take some trial, error and spending money to find the right beater for you.
          "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

I've tried different kinds of mallets, and I finally settled on the TyFry Platinum. They're amazing for flourishing, great control, good speed, lightweight, but still has a good sound on the drum. They're an all-round set. Great!

Still, you might not find it to your liking. I think mallets is all about a personal feel for which mallet to use.

Cheers

Comment

My problem has been finding a mallet that is good for flourishing but has a hard enough head. We're playing custom made tenors that require a somewhat hard mallet head to get the right sound off them. Right now I have Premier's, which I find a little tough to swing with since there's no ball, to a very old set of alto TG Browns (bought them in 2000, I think one of their very first sets).
              If there's no drumming in heaven, I don't want to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Love2Drum:
                My problem has been finding a mallet that is good for flourishing but has a hard enough head.
                We are playing the Andante Mallets since last year, they are very light flourishingwise and the head is hard enough to get a good sound on your drum.

My favourite sticks are the Steelo's Aluminium with a sheepskin head (Steelo's New Zealand). They are well balanced (not very light, you have to work while flourishing....but that's good) The sound is absolutely brilliant, hard enough and very warm .
                Cheers,

Robbert
                http://www.pipeband.nl

"Real men wear pink"

Comment

Working...
                X