Bass & Tenor drumming, and the new home of tenordrummer.com discussions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What harnesses will work with a Pearl Bass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What harnesses will work with a Pearl Bass?

So I acquired a 28" Pearl bass and I know very little about drums. I have mallets lined up now, but I need a harness. Do you have to use a Pearl harness with a Pearl bass or can you use a Premier harness with a Pearl bass? Are there any other harnesses that work with Pearl drums?

Thanks,
    Andrew
    Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. BDF Moderator
    BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Re: What harnesses will work with a Pearl Bass?

Andrew, measure the distance between the drum's carrier eyes, center-to-center. The hooks on the carrier harness have to match that width. If it has three eyes, measure between the two outside eyes.

With that information, the next step is to determine what brand carrier you want, and where and how you want the weight of the drum distributed.

Carriers with half-circle hooks over the shoulder focus the weight on the collar bones and stomack.

Carriers with cross-over straps tend to distribute the weight more evenly on the back and stomach. I prefer this type of carrier, and mine is made by Bob Meade.
    Warren Morrison
    Greensboro NC

Comment

A Jim Kilpatrick Bass Drum Carrier has two hooks which lock into place on the outer two eyelets on drums with three eyelets. The position of the hooks on the carrier can be adjusted for width. Brow Fry and Hosbilt will work with drums with centre eyelets, Andrew. I hope that helps.

Comment

Is there a harness that allows someone else to carry it while you play it? (kiddin'!)

The drum is still at my brother's house out of state, so I haven't see it yet. I'm having him measure the eyelet distance for me and take a few photos.

On a different topic, what range of temperatures are bass drums "comfortable" with? Obviously, they get played in some pretty cold (freezing winter) temperatures, but it seems though they'd been able to take on a broader range of temperatures than bagpipes given that the wood is thinner. (I don't know exactly where my brother has it stored, but they live in a climate that gets snow . . . unlike here in a California beach town.)

Thanks,
        Andrew

Comment

We have 2 pearl bass drums, and have used XL carriers and pearl carriers with no modifications. Most carriers have at least a little bit of adjustment capability.
          Mike Postma - Wasatch and District Pipe Band

Comment

Andrew: I too used the Bob Meade Harness and found it to be incredibly comfortable. As mentioned, the weight of the drum is born by the back muscles, not the shoulders.
            Bob will custom make the harness so that it fits the hooks, or eyes, on your drum. I was very satisfied with his harness, and NO, I am not related in any way to Bob Meade Custom Drums.

"Knows Pickin"
            Big Drum Drummer: Remember, things are going to get a heck of a lot worse, before they get worse.

Comment

Andrew: I have used my old Premier XL harness with my new Pearl bass. No problems matching hooks up with eyelets, but if you do need to modify anything - like adding a center eyelet - it's usually a pretty simple process. I had to drill holes in my Andante to get it to work with Premier harness - no problems with it. Just three days ago I received in the mail my new Pearl Air Frame harness. I tried it out over the weekend and am a big fan so far. It has a back strap and removable belly and shoulder pads - many creature comforts for us fuller figured fellas. It is fully adjustable (all made with your drum key) and allows the drum to sit high (or low) depending on your preference. Personally - I like my place high up - almost as if on a throne...where it belongs. I have not yet tested in on the street or in all day competition, but will write back with a review when I do.
              Lastly - I have always been a proponent of climate control for any drum. If it has to be stored in the cold - at least loosen the heads as the cold will make them contract and quickly pull them out of tune (just as the sun beating down on them will make them expand - hence numerous tuning sessions on long, hot competition days.) Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for all the advice!

Andrew

Comment

I'm excited, I got a call, a friend of my brothers is driving down from Washington State and my brother asked him to bring along my used Pearl bass drum that I have never seen. It should be here today. Everything is falling into place. Pearl bass drum, mallets, and I have a bass drum harness on its way from Sandy St. James.

[minutes pass]

Wow. The drum just showed up. It's a thing of beauty. Stained dark grey shell (with only minor dings), dark grey stained rims (that's the big wood rings, right?), chrome hardware that looks like it's in mint condition. Transparent Aquarian Super Kick heads with two back-up original Pearl heads. Not new, but overall far closer to new than beat up.

I guess I still have to get a key so I can tune it. It'll have to wait until I get back from my work trip, I leave tomorrow. Figures!

Andrew

Comment

Cool! Now I'm excited too. Let me know when you're back and when you're bringing that baby to band practice. I'll come on down and we can tune it up and have some fun with that puppy. I'll bet it's gonna sound great with those Super Kicks on it. I'm curious also to see the harness that you're getting.
                    If you don't pay your exorcist, you get repossessed.

Comment

The Premier bass drum harness came the day before yesterday. I have it asembled but haven't tried it yet with the Pearl drum (worked yesterday, busy day today) but will soon. Now, I just need a key to tune it and I should be good to go!

I think I have the harness adjusted about right but I'll know better once I try it with the drum.

Andrew

Comment

So, the bass drummer couldn't make it to band practice this week and so the pipe major asked me to bring the bass drum and play that. It went pretty well. Nothing fancy, just straight ahead beatings on the beat (and maybe upbeat).

I certainly have more respect for bass drummers. Both for back strength (a bass drum is not weightless!) and also how they add all those extra beatings. Right now, I can't imagine adding extra hits and maintaining the basic beat! Surprisingly, the hardest thing I had to do was a very long roll (minutes) that increased in volume. My hands liked to synchronize instead of 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2.

Anyway, thanks all for the help. The Premier harness worked just fine. My only complaint was the shoulder brackets knocking out my ear plugs when I took it off!

Andrew

Comment

Well done Andrew, your official membership card will be mailed to you soon.
                          Margaret

Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Comment

Working...
                          X