Bass & Tenor drumming, and the new home of tenordrummer.com discussions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tenor Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenor Settings

Hi All,
    Wondering if anyone out there can help me out with tenor settings.
    We have three drums. Comments in every comp this year is they are out of tune.
    Have tried setting them at A, C, E....but no go.
    The pipes are tuned to about 778.
    Any thoughts???
    Thanks a bunch!
    Carla
    Carla aka The.Navigator

Re: Tenor Settings

Try Bb, f and D. You may need an 18 inch to get to the D.

Look at Henderson's web site. They have a copy of Ty Fry's directions for tuning the midsection. It is quite good.

Comment

Thanks Bill! Anyone else? We are hoping to get through Fergus next weekend without any issue with tuning!!!
      Carla aka The.Navigator

Comment

Can you post a recording where we can hear what's going on? Might be easier to diagnose that way than trying to guess how your tuner works ;)
        http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
        -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

What sizes of drums do you have.
          BTW you're not alone, tenor tuning seems just about impossible, I've noticed, listening to a lot of recent recordings!

Comment

This mid-section tuning has been a massive problem this past two years. In the PPBSO, we now have a mid-section judge (doesn't count for anything yet) and the feedback has been great, but troublesome. Mostly, we get "out of tune drums." Before, no one really seemed to care. Or it was working before, and now it doesn't.

Now, full disclaimer: I am the tuner for the pipe corps, and help set the tenor and bass drums. So it's been maddening for me. We set to the A,C, and E of the pipe - that's the Bb etc mentioned above. I use an an adjustable meter for tuning, and set the A to 478, or 480 or wherever the pipes are to offset the transposing problem. I suppose the E could go to D, but we don't have any D tunes, and to my ear the D is off ... And we tune to where the pipes are that day. 477, or 480, or wherever. Easy enough. But still out of tune to the judge.

What we have found this year: tenors drop a half tone with about thirty seconds of sun. After 4 minutes they drop close to a full tone. (This could be our new set up on the drums...) Pipes, of course, rise in the sun, so being the diligent pipe band that we are, we have kept the mid-section in the shade with the pipers on comp. day. Then off to the circle. This is a bad idea, as it happens. We were out a 1/2 pitch by the the time we got the circle set up. Never mind 4 minutes later... We don't do that any more.

But we're still having judges saying it's not quite right. Now I'm starting to look closely at the C. The C on the chanter is not a true C on the meter (none of that equal temperament stuff...) The C is a bit flatter (or is it sharper, I can't remember off hand) - so I'm thinking our C from the tenor, which I have diligently set on the nose of the meter, is not set to the C of the chanter.

The same follows with the E, but not quite as much, although theory says the E is an exact 5th from the A. But then in theory, there is no difference between reality and theory. In reality, of course, theory and reality are completely different things.

What I need to do is corner Tyler Fry or some such person in the beer tent one day...

Scott
            Chairman Mao
            Holy smoking keyboard!
            Last edited by Chairman Mao; 08-07-2011, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Agree on the frustration bit.

We have four tenors, tuned as A-E-D-C. I trust the tuner to get me on for the A tenor and bass but from there I lose confidence in the tuner. I end up trusting my ears to set the others to a properly tuned piper who has been cleared to go.

Perhaps it is more art than science in terms of what constitutes a E,D and C? Sometimes what I think is right sounds different outside the circle, so I am always being kidded about obsessing about the tenors' tuning.

I always do one final tweak right before we hit the chute, having allowed them to settle in with the sunshine for a bit.

It's not a perfect method but seems to work, good comments on tenor voicing. I'm sure the heads have a lot to do with it.

Robin
              Atlanta PB

Comment

Robin - what you said about where the drum is sitting and what it sounds like outside the circle is bang on.

What I think is happening (somwhat) is that when I tune the tenors they are not playing the same as when as when they actually play the set (sort of like beginning pipers - the scale is great, and then they launch into a tune )

It's a massive guestimate game... And then the sun decides to go behind a cloud and a small cold front moves in...

Scott
                Chairman Mao
                Holy smoking keyboard!
                Last edited by Chairman Mao; 08-08-2011, 01:59 PM.

Comment

The bagpipe C is sharper than normal C. Here is a pretty well documented article.

http://cityofoaks.home.netcom.com/Bagpipe_Tuning.html
                  "I'm fixin to R-U-N-N-O-F-T"

Comment

Thank you, Drew. In my moment of generating that response I couldn't remember... Just another CRAFT moment.

Scott

Comment

This is what I use to tune my bands chanters and our tenor drummers love it for tuning our drums as well. Maybe it will help?

http://flic.kr/p/abFMj3

Comment

I can't see whatever it is you posted as it requires me to sign in to something I don't want to sign up for.

If it's a picture of a tuner, I have a perfectly acceptable tuner. I actually love it. I can adjust the meter up to A=492. It has a variety of fine-tuning abilities such as changing the sampling rate (great for the Grade V band) and it has a soft, orangey light so I can use it in the dark and it looks really cool.

If it's some sort of chart or something that might be useful, re-post it.

Comment

Sorry about that i didn't realize it wouldn't work, and yes it is a chart that I have taped to the back of my tuner.

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/...res/Tunner.jpg

Comment

Ooooh. That is cool. I am copying that.

Thanx.

Comment

Its no problem I'm glad I could help.

Comment

Working...
                              X