Bass & Tenor drumming, and the new home of tenordrummer.com discussions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uh, oh. Shoulder foam tore... glue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh, oh. Shoulder foam tore... glue?

So, I noticed last night (filling in for the vacationing bass drummer) that the foam on one of my shoulder brackets tore between uses and is now a loose flap. (It's a metal Premier bass harness.)

If I were to just remove the flap, there'd be no foam for about 2-3" of the end of the metal, so I'm thinking glue to reattach foam to foam.

Anyone glue this foam before? Maybe just contact cement?

Andrew
    Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. BDF Moderator
    BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Re: Uh, oh. Shoulder foam tore... glue?

As our Premier snare harnesses age, the foam deteriorates and falls apart. I bought some grey foam sold in rolls of strips which are meant to be used for weather stripping, and replaced the original foam padding.
    This stuff has an adhesive backing that sticks to the metal pretty well, but I wrapped the ends of the carrier and foam with a couple of turns of black electricians tape to make sure the ends don't come loose. The drummers with these renewed carriers tell me the padding is more comfortable than the original.
    Reality is only an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie Pedersen View Post
      I wrapped the ends of the carrier and foam with a couple of turns of black electricians tape to make sure the ends don't come loose.
      I'll second the black electricians tape idea. It is golden, when it comes to the black xl style harnesses, regardless of the foam used.
      If you try, you run the risk of failing. By not trying, you ensure it.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Adams View Post
        I'll second the black electricians tape idea. It is golden, when it comes to the black xl style harnesses, regardless of the foam used.
        Home Desperate ( or a plumbing supply house) has fairly heavy duty foam (heating) pipe insulation of different diameters ( for different size heating pipes). Might work well to replace the whole kebab. Spray paint it black after installing. Alternatively... find some old wrestling/gym mats at your high school and cut to size.

Comment

Anyone try gaffer's tape instead of electrical? Seems that the electrical would get gooey and slip over time . . . speaking from my experience taping chanters.

Andrew

Comment

Andrew, if it's just a small little piece that came loose and the piece itself is still completely intact, you could glue it back on. I did that once with the Premier leg rest on my side drum. Can't remember exactly which glue I used, but most often I use Loctite brand Super Glue, which has worked well on just about everything I've tried it on, so it was probably that. I get it at Ace Hardware. Glue the padding to the metal itself, AND to the padding that's still attached to the harness.

(Wow, are you drumming with such intensity now, that you're tearin' up the equipment??!! GOOD FOR YOU, my man!! heh heh )

See you soon
            If you don't pay your exorcist, you get repossessed.

Comment

I'll try the super glue to start, I have that around.

You would have been proud of me, Jeff. I was skipping beats to let the pipes breath at the end of certain lines, adding beatings . . . I'm getting a bit more adventurous. PM Jay even gave me a quick thumbs up and a smile in the middle of one set. I'm not anything remotely close to a real bass drummer, but not half bad!
              I had fun.

Andrew

Comment

If you feel adventurous and whatnot... you could make your own foam... Flexible urethane & silicon foam How you mold it is on you... but one could have the foam padding cast directly onto the metal pieces.

The Flexible Urethane Foam is not too unlike Nerf foam, or "Memory foam". The denser stuff is likely what would be best, plus it expands less while its reacting.

**If anyone actually tries this stuff... you will want a stopwatch handy, and keep an eye on the time. Whatever the "pot life" is ( 50sec I believe) you stir vigorously in a foam (not white styrofoam) coffee cup for that amount of time. It will go amber while you mix, (unless you color it) when it starts to foam up you pour it. IT might go to "cream" which you will know that state by how it feels, also a good time to pour.

They also have a new Silicon foam. I haven't ever tried that kind. BUt it is likely stronger and higher quality.

The only caveat with either of them, is knowing how much to mix. Part trial and error, and part being good with a calculator.

**Andrew... in your neck of the woods, Poly-Tech (I think thats thier name) has many of the same products.. you might be close enough to visit their shop.

Also... Bad idea for Pipers with a bass Drum at home... Playing BOTH at once.. Hook a foot / kick pedal to it !!!!

Comment

Cheap camping mats and double stick carpet tape.
                  Margaret

Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Comment

Or.... You could get a new harness... Those old premier carriers are dogs, especially for bass drums.

There are loads of much more comfortable and durable carriers out there now.
                    Mike Postma - Wasatch and District Pipe Band

Comment

Working...
                    X