The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bagpipe Bias

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bagpipe Bias

Originally posted by gatormac View Post
    I think you need to lighten up, David. You seem to be very defensive about this. I think everyone realizes there are decent, normal vegans. But the truth of matter is, at least in the Western Hemisphere, there seems to be a disproportionate amount of sanctimonious as well as a complete weirdo vegans. So they invite criticism and jokes. No one really cares if you or others chose to not eat meat. More power to you, and more meat for the rest of us.
    Perhaps I just don't understand the American tendancy to use humiliating and demeaning language towards the different or the exotic or the eccentric. If a group mistreated a piper, then call them on rude behaviour. I back that 110%. What the inconsiderste folks eat for dinner, how they look or dress or pray is not related. There is thin ethical line easily crossed when we make fun of a class or group of people.

Maybe this is just red-meat eater aggression, and the sacrophages need to lighten up--or show how all this relates to bagpipes.
    Last edited by David; 06-15-2016, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
      Perhaps I just don't understand the American tendancy to use humiliating and demeaning language towards the different or the exotic or the eccentric.
      Avoid Australia then... lol....
      Who Dares Bins

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
        One branch of my family escaped the slaughters of Europe and tried the gold fields of Victoria in the 19th century. Ended up in the newspaper business in Dunedin, NZ. We have lots of Australia stories in the family. Whick I commemorated with a hornpipe called The Dunny Reek. Better WCs in Dunedin than in the Vic gold fields. .
        Last edited by David; 06-15-2016, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Well since we have strayed so far afield, and to break the tension a little bit, here is an apt dialogue that I think pertains to the subject matter

(apologies to Quentin Tarantino)

JULES
          Looks like me and Vincent caught you at breakfast, sorry 'bout that.
          What'cha eatin'?

BRETT
          Hamburgers.

JULES
          Hamburgers!
          The cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast.
          What kinda hamburgers?

BRETT
          Cheeseburgers.

JULES
          No, I mean where did you get'em?
          MacDonald's, Wendy's, Jack-in-the-Box, where?

BRETT
          Big Kahuna Burger.

JULES
          Big Kahuna Burger!
          That's that Hawaiian burger joint.
          I heard they got some tasty burgers.
          I ain't never had one myself, how are they?

BRETT
          They're good.

JULES
          Mind if I try one of yours?

BRETT
          No.

JULES
          Yours is this one, right?

BRETT
          Yeah.

(Jules grabs the burger and take a bite of it.)

JULES
          Uuummmm, that's a tasty burger!

(to Vincent)

Vince, you ever try a Big Kahuna Burger?

VINCENT
          No.

(Jules holds out the Big Kahuna.)

JULES
          You wanna bite, they're real good.

VINCENT
          I ain't hungry.

JULES
          Well, if you like hamburgers give 'em a try sometime.

Me, I can't usually eat 'em 'cause my girlfriend's a vegetarian.

Which more or less makes me a vegetarian, but I sure love the taste of a good burger.

tomm
          [email protected]

Comment

The head of my NZ family Sir Julius kept kosher, which means effectively vegetarian much of the time.

Comment

Here's a little vegetarian humor for you, David. All in good fun- but the humor is that he acts like so many vegans act in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0O_VYcsIk8
              Patrick

Comment

Americans may be drawing from a few bad examples. Like the bad reputation of American street piping which fails to note all the dedicated American pipers who have learned musically.

That's life. Meanwhile I will savour my hydroponic bok choy, and never complain of my wife's steak eating, or my cat's spendy little tins of road-kill trash-mash.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                  Americans may be drawing from a few bad examples. Like the bad reputation of American street piping which fails to note all the dedicated American pipers who have learned musically.

That's life. Meanwhile I will savour my hydroponic bok choy, and never complain of my wife's steak eating, or my cat's spendy little tins of road-kill trash-mash.
                  Yes, so often it's the minority of baddies that make us all look bad. Your meal doesn't sound very appetizing to me, but at least you don't deprive your carnivorous wife! By the way, the clip was sent to me by a good humored vegetarian friend.
                  Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                    "Generation snowflake" This really says it all.
                    Oh how true. Each one unique and special.
                    An Píob Mhór Ghaelach * Seán Pádraig Ó Treasaigh

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
                      Seriously? Have we learned nothing about racism that anyone would still stereotype?

edit: and for your education
                      https://www.humanrights.gov.au/publi...-law-australia
                      Last edited by Gassy; 06-27-2016, 07:02 PM.

Comment

OK....this thread has devolved into wholesale attacks on people based on various things like:

•Food preference
                        •Year of birth
                        •National heritage

...etc.

Maybe the thread name should be changed from "Bagpipe Bias" to just plain "Bias"

We should be better than this. We should be better than "well, I've got some vegan friends...but as a whole they're a bunch of BLANKS"...or "there are a couple of very dedicated and hard-working millennials in my band, but that whole generation is the most entitled generation since (well since whatever generation came before them)" and so on.

Do us all...and yourselves a favor...before deciding that you are going to post something "witty" (and totally off topic), just ask yourself if you'd like that treatment aimed at whatever group(s) you happen to belong to––especially if that group is one you find yourself in through no choice of your own.

And if ANYBODY should know what it's like to be unjustly maligned...it's f'n bagpipers.

Comment

Originally posted by Craic Piper View Post
                          OK....this thread has devolved into wholesale attacks on people based on various things like:

•Food preference
                          •Year of birth
                          •National heritage

...etc.

Maybe the thread name should be changed from "Bagpipe Bias" to just plain "Bias"

We should be better than this. We should be better than "well, I've got some vegan friends...but as a whole they're a bunch of BLANKS"...or "there are a couple of very dedicated and hard-working millennials in my band, but that whole generation is the most entitled generation since (well since whatever generation came before them)" and so on.

Do us all...and yourselves a favor...before deciding that you are going to post something "witty" (and totally off topic), just ask yourself if you'd like that treatment aimed at whatever group(s) you happen to belong to––especially if that group is one you find yourself in through no choice of your own.

And if ANYBODY should know what it's like to be unjustly maligned...it's f'n bagpipers.
                          And so say all of us! We are few and must bond together. I have been on other boards that digress into arguments, but what do we have to argue about. It's BAGPIPES! Who cares what you eat for dinner? It's how do you play a burl that matters.
                          Respectfully,
                          Chris
                          Rosie O'Grady's Highlanders, Orlando, FL

Comment

Excellent points DRCTL and Craic. Old wisdom is still the best and most fresh.

Comment

Working...
                            X