The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Montreal Police confiscate sgian dubh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Montreal Police confiscate sgian dubh!

Originally posted by Randy McIntosh View Post
    The law in Montreal is no knives in public without a reasonable excuse. The cops on the scene did not take his excuse as reasonable and it is up to him to contest the fine. The by-law can be read here...
    http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/sel/sypr...2409&typeDoc=1

As to the kilt I believe it to be the university kilt where he was playing that day. And as far as I know he is still an active member of the BW, an NCO in fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And of course for the sake of all Scots lucky enough to own a kilt I will be contesting this fine. It's been 5 months since the incident, and all's good. Shook the Mayor's hand on Saint Patrick's Day, played in the parade on the Sunday and people are still wearing their Sgian Dubhs here there and everywhere in Montreal. I don't care if it's a young cadet or an old vet none of us should be targeted and ticketed for carrying what is perceived to be a dangerous weapon. We will pursue this issue in court to the fullest.

Thanks for your support.
    Jeff
    My Musical Projects:
    The Thistle Amongst the Lilies...Quebec's First Collection of Pipe Music!
    Supersonic Tartan Death Machine

Comment

Originally posted by LloydB View Post
      I recall that something similar happened with a
      world-famous touring pipe band, in the late 1970's
      or early 1980's. Scots Guards? Black Watch?

I don't have the details, but a big flap at the time.
      Wasn't that about the time of this thread first post?? :

Comment

That's why I carry this instead:
        http://www.scottishtradingcompany.co...s/SD-AT-BO.jpg
        I've been known to draw it out & use it on more than one occasion.
        The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it.
        Thucydides

Comment

Some years ago, a band mate and I were returning to Portland from the Tacoma Games when we were pulled over (for speeding) just before crossing into Oregon. We were still in uniform, and the trooper asked for what he called our "boot knives" and set them on the roof of the car.

After his usual check of car registration, etc., he handed them back and sent us on our way (no ticket).

Comment

How easy to threaten guys in kilts with bagpipes because of wearing a knife!

When I was a young scout I was wearing a very long and sharp knife and nothing wrong ever happened with it...but nowadays our govs have decided to prohibit everything without distinction between the good and the bad guys!

Just guess how many people were killed with a sgiandubh versus trucks on streets...

Comment

Almost 11 months and still waiting on the courts. *watches the tumbleweeds roll by*
              My Musical Projects:

Comment

I know this is WAY after the fact but… OF COURSE I WON!!
                My Musical Projects:

Comment

Good to know!

Comment

Truth be told, in over 30 years of piping, I've never carried a sgian dubh. It's not that I have anything against weaponry. Instead, I've carried a tin whistle, which makes it a lot more convenient to access for the "Danny Boy" gigs. Usually, it's an old green fippled Soodlum, but those black Susato Kildare models look enough like a knife handle to pass.
                    Before you start fixing problems with your reeds, check to see if the bag or stocks are leaking.
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/Marcblur?feature=guide

Comment

Hmm... I use my--"small black knife"--to work on reeds--and anything else--that
                      may come to hand. :-) (Cutting leather stoppers for blowpipes--et al.)

And in all this Time--I've never gone--a piping--without it.

Good News!!--and--Glad You Won!! :-)

And I hope you gave them a bill--for your Time--and Trouble!! :-)
                      (Probably hard to collect--but I think--more than worth--making the point. :-)

My friends all know,
                      With what a brave carouse...

Comment

Reading the article, I can't help but take offense to a professional piper referring to his highland dress, as a, "costume". Am I wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by bluebadger View Post
                          Reading the article, I can't help but take offense to a professional piper referring to his highland dress, as a, "costume". Am I wrong?
                          Using the word “costume”, when connected with words like “traditional” or “national” should never be seen in the same way as “Halloween”, or “masquerade ball”. But I guess people like to split hairs and take offense at everything nowadays. I can say however that I have seen the term in use with the two former words above in many instances and never is it meant with slight or ill intent. Example, https://www.britannica.com/topic/kilt

As for “Professional” Piper, I wish I had the time for that. But I AM a Highland Piper IN a Highland Regiment for almost 30 years now so what do I know…?
                          Last edited by pipermacbear; 09-15-2021, 02:24 AM.
                          My Musical Projects:

Comment

Working...
                          X