The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the Masters are playing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What the Masters are playing

Originally posted by John Miner View Post
    I'm not sure why, but I'm pretty sure he plays the originals in the band.
    Marketing? Publicity? I'm pretty sure Callum Beaumont won the CLASP with set of the MacRae drones. if that isn't a fantastic endorsement I don't know what is!!

Comment

I suspect that many of the “masters” could win at the highest levels playing off-the-shelf drones. What makes them able to win the top prizes is their ability to setup pipes, choose good drone reeds, match drones to chanter and play near flawlessly.
      "Melancholy as the Drone of a Lancashire Bagpipe" (Behn, Aphra 1678. Sir Patient Fancy)

Comment

Originally posted by Green Piper View Post
        I suspect that many of the “masters” could win at the highest levels playing off-the-shelf drones. What makes them able to win the top prizes is their ability to setup pipes, choose good drone reeds, match drones to chanter and play near flawlessly.
        I'm sure many of them could win - maybe not the highest levels, but definitely most amateur competitions - with a set of pipes from the subcontinent. As you said, it's down to setup, but also their control over the instrument.
        You don't have fun by winning. You win by having fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Piper View Post
          Exactly!! I completely agree. It does prove you don't need bank account breaking Hendersons or whatever. It's a great advert.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainebagpipes View Post
            Bruce was playing his 2011 McCallums, not his Hendersons.
            Pretty sure it's a set of old Hendersons Bruce is competing with here.
            www.selpiper.dk

Comment

Originally posted by Mainebagpipes View Post
              Bruce was playing his 2011 McCallums, not his Hendersons.
              Originally posted by Søren E. Larsen View Post
              Pretty sure it's a set of old Hendersons Bruce is competing with here.
              I would say that I take Mainebagpipes' word for it, I know he takes lessons from Bruce. I saw your site from your signature, looks like you take lessons from Bruce as well?

McCallums make sense to me, Bruce told us at a workshop this past spring (2018) that he often uses his McCallum pipes for international travel ... I believe to cut down on the issues of CITES and the like. That workshop was in the US, and he that weekend he was also playing his McCallums. But I've not seen this particular performance.

He can make any set of pipes sing ... I daresay all of these folks can.

Cheers,
              ~Nate
              Last edited by Pppiper; 09-13-2018, 06:35 AM.

Comment

If I remember, I'll ask him this week. However, without having been in Scotland, I'm certain they're the McCallums. I've got a couple of reasons for thinking that, one of the big ones being it's a dead ringer for the set he played at Maxville (which I was around for). There's a closer view in the video of his Piping Live recital than in the Masters broadcast.
                -Steve

Comment

Stuart Liddell was competing with a new McCallum solo chanter that is still under development.
                  www.schoolofpiping.com

Comment

Should have mentioned Iain Speirs is playing a Mk2 McCallum. Thanks for the breakdown Shawn, very interesting to see the chanters and pitches.
                    www.schoolofpiping.com

Comment

I for one would like to know their entire setups;

Chanter
                      Chanter reed
                      Bag
                      Drones
                      Drone reeds

It would be interesting to get each Master's take on why they play what they play. I think it would encourage us mere mortals, and give us options we haven't thought of before.

Comment

Originally posted by Neal Hinerman View Post

Chanter
                        Chanter reed
                        Bag
                        Drones
                        Drone reeds

It would be interesting to get each Master's take on why they play what they play. I think it would encourage us mere mortals, and give us options we haven't thought of before.
                        Lots of variable and equal similarities I think.

Comment

Originally posted by PMT View Post
                          Stuart Liddell was competing with a new McCallum solo chanter that is still under development.
                          Yes. I've heard that chanter in person and it's pretty spectacular. Of course, Stuart could make most anything sound good, but the new chanter really sings. I don't know what reed he plays in it.

Comment

Originally posted by PMT View Post
                            So McCallum recently came out with the Ceol chanter and are now developing yet another? They sure stay busy there!
                            proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

Originally posted by Neal Hinerman View Post

Chanter
                              Chanter reed
                              Bag
                              Drones
                              Drone reeds

Its a bit out of date, but still interesting....

https://www.pipesdrums.com/article/W...-drums-Survey/

Comment

Originally posted by piper_hm View Post

Shawn, the mystery pic - Ben Duncan plays the newer R.G. Hardie Blackwood chanter with a Shepherd reed.

Since this old thread has now been resurrected ...FWIW... at the 2018 Metro Cup in New Jersey,USA Sgt. Piper Ben Duncan...(Army school of piping)....told me he was then playing a set of 1993 Shepherd pipes.

Comment

Working...
                                X