The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your least favorite type of gig?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's your least favorite type of gig?

Originally posted by johnsog View Post
    I'm doing a second year playing for a Republican Party St. Patty's party.
    Perhaps you are referring to St. Pádraig/Patrick/Paddy?

I doubt Republicans were celebrating St. Patricia, but I could be mistaken. Was it on her feast day of August 25th?
    My Piping Blog (recordings, articles, reviews, etc.) - Homepage - Pekaar's Tune Encyclopedia - Convert BMW to ABC

Comment

4th of July parades, long parades, in the Texas heat. So hot that the asphalt turned to soft goo under your feet; and the little cars (with big Shriners) locked up after just a few minutes. We would march and play for well over an hour...with roasted, blistered feet. The dehydration was debilitating.

Then there’s St Patrick’s Day festivities...
      The parades were not bad. Bad happened when we split up to cover the small evening gigs in the bars. Green beer flying in the air and swirling green-tinged regurgitation land mines on the ground. Kilts and jackets had to be carefully peeled away and then off to the cleaners the next morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
        Perhaps you are referring to St. Pádraig/Patrick/Paddy?

I doubt Republicans were celebrating St. Patricia, but I could be mistaken. Was it on her feast day of August 25th?
        You beat me to it Patrick!

Yes here in the States loads of people celebrate St Patricia on March 17th. It's long confused me. Being biased as I am, because one of my middle names is Patrick.
        proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

Originally posted by Toxpert View Post
          St Patrick’s Day...gigs in the bars. Green beer flying in the air and swirling green-tinged regurgitation land mines on the ground...
          I must say that in 40 years of doing St Pat's gigs in bars/pubs I've never seen those things!

I've played solo in pubs where the conversation was so loud I couldn't hear my own chanter! And totally packed with people where you can't walk anywhere.

That's why I've done the same St Pat's evening gig now for around 20 years, playing at the same house party, a small quiet gathering of interesting people. I sit in the corner and play uilleann pipes, whistles, and SSP for a couple hours. Done by 9pm. No more late nights for me!
          proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

Working...
          X