The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thistle ghillies fit problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to jump in here but please have a look at my website https://edinburghbrogues.co.uk/ we make various types of ghillies, brogues and boots. Any questions you can email me [email protected] thanks Graeme

Comment

Originally posted by edinburghbrogues View Post
      Sorry to jump in here but please have a look at my website https://edinburghbrogues.co.uk/ we make various types of ghillies, brogues and boots. Any questions you can email me [email protected] thanks Graeme
      Yes I was looking through those, in the styles I was interested in they only went up to 13UK and I didn't see width mentioned. Depending on how those shoes are proportioned a 13UK might or might not fit me.

proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

I have had problems with brogues for years myself. I too had Gaelic Themes which I think are decent shoes. However, very heavy and inflexible in my opinion. Not sure why traditional style shoes are built this way, brogues or no. I have narrow feet with high arches and I also found them constricting, made my feet ache.

I'm a believer in footwear that allows your feet to flex and move as naturally as they do while walking around the house. Part of this is a wider toe box as some have mentioned, the other is removing bulk. I haven't personally found "orthopedic" style shoes to help. They typically just throw in more squish which causes your feet to roll around and try and compensate for lack of sensory input. They don't tell your brain where your alignment is as you transition from heel-arch-forefoot-toes.
        8249-pronation-supination-diagram-1296x728-body.jpg?w=1155&h=1528.jpg

I eventually went with a pair of Wingtip Carets (carets.com) which have a very wide toe box, can be folded on themselves allowing for full movement, and use quality leather.
        Wingt[email protected]2x.jpg?v=1579340026.jpgWin[email protected]2x.png?v=1579340026.png

These are not inexpensive but they are cleverly made, flexible, lightweight, and allow you to stand on level ground.
        Last edited by William McKenzie; 02-15-2021, 12:23 PM. Reason: Links
        Happy Piping

Comment

I back searched..but could not find...a ~ 2018 post here by SGPM Roger Huth extolling
          the comfort and virtues of a new pair of Ghillies he lucked onto and purchased at a Games a few years ago.
          I was hoping to find the name brand...he really thought they were the bees knees.

perhaps Rogers’ stalwart sidekick on BDF will recall and comment.
          Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 02-23-2021, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by William McKenzie View Post
            I have had problems with brogues...very heavy and inflexible...not sure why traditional style shoes are built this way...

I'm a believer in footwear that allows your feet to flex...
            For sure nearly all the Ghillies I've seen for sale in recent years have been heavy and inflexible.

When I bought my first pair of Ghillies around 1977 it was from a shop that carried Keltic brand Ghillies.

The first thing the salesman asked me was whether I wanted the heavyweight or the lightweight version.

He showed them to me. The heavyweight was pretty much like all the Ghillies I see nowadays, thick and stiff.

The lightweight was more like a dress shoe: thinner leather sole, thinner and flexible leather uppers.

I bought the lightweight ones, and they were incredibly comfortable. I wore those for over 20 years. I had them resoled a half-dozen times. Finally the uppers started looking bad and I retired those.

Happily in the 1980s I had bought a second identical pair, which I kept pristine for weddings and such. I wore the older pair at Highland Games. I got over 20 years out of that second pair of lightweight Keltics too.
            proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

Originally posted by pancelticpiper View Post

Yes I was looking through those, in the styles I was interested in they only went up to 13UK and I didn't see width mentioned. Depending on how those shoes are proportioned a 13UK might or might not fit me.
              If you wanted to send a tracing of your feet to my email address ([email protected]) with sizes I could measure them against our shoes. A lot of our ghillies are made with a rounded toe giving more width than a dress shoe. We can make up to size uk16 we just don't stock anything that size but can easily have them made hope this helps. If anyone has any questions about lighter weight brogues or anything please drop me an email. Thanks Graeme, Edinburgh Brogues

Comment

Working...
              X