The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Naapd [North American Academy of Piping and Drumming]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naapd [North American Academy of Piping and Drumming]

Hey everyone! I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, so I figured this would be good enough.

I wondered who all was planning to go to NAAPD this year. This is going to be my first year going...I am still a relative beginner in the bagpiping world, so I'm excited to connect with other people and have a chance to improve my playing. Or...if you're not going this year, do you have any good stories about NAAPD? SHARE YOUR WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE. haha.

It's right around the corner and I'm really getting excited.
    Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 04-28-2021, 01:05 PM.
    Don't ask my neighbors about my piping skills. They don't know...

I can’t say I’m familiar with or have ever heard of NAAPD.

What is it, exactly?
    You don't have fun by winning. You win by having fun.

Comment

A piping school/camp in North Carolina:
      North American Academy of Piping and Drumming

I edited the subject line of the original post so it's clear, you won't be the only one confused by "NAAPD".

Andrew
      Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. • BDF Moderator
      BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

Hey Melodie! I am not planning on going to NAAPD, nor have I ever been before, but as somebody who has been to a bagpipe camp in the beginning stages of my playing, I can confidently tell you that it was an invaluable experience.

I went to the Carlsbad School in 2018 and 2019, and had been teaching myself up the pipes until my first attendance. To get to be around so many different pipers of different age groups, skill levels, musical interests, and who were all on their own journeys, was incredibly encouraging and exciting. The instructors too, were inspiring and answered all the questions I had going in, and the ones that I had developed during the week. Camp is an experience I try to recommend to everybody. You will not be the same player at the end that you will be when you first begin.

My one recommendation to you is to record the classes with an audio recorder of some kind. In my two years of attending the school in Carlsbad I have logged hundreds of hours of content, which is incredibly useful when I want to revisit a specific topic or lecture.

I hope you have a great time! Especially if you are a North Carolina native, you may end up making a community of players and friends who you might see (hopefully) with some frequency at local games in the future.

Best of luck to you in your piping journey!

Comment

Hi Melodie-
          I have been/am a long term student at NAAPD.
          What do you want to know?
          Be prepared to pipe until your fingers ache, and then pipe some more.
          Great instruction- you will spend the next year sorting out everything that you have learned.
          Great venue.
          Great food.
          I am going to WK 1.
          Cheers-
          R
          “Cogito, ergo armatum sum: I think, therefore I am armed.”

Comment

I got a ton of stories. Most of them can't really be told in public.
            About 8 of us, all right around age 21 were there together one week. They smartly put us all in that little house way up the hill. It was all mostly good natured fun, except for the Taco Bell incident, and even then the kind officer saw no reason to arrest us or even cite us with anything, or even detain us for their safety and ours. Like I said, good natured. Although, the Taco Bell incident was admittedly pushing it.

Bring along any other compatible instruments you might play if it's not a hassle. Especially if the fiddlers and/or small pipers are there. It's tremendous fun mixing and matching interests. Nothing beats sitting in a rocking chair, overlooking the mountains, playing your practice chanter for hours on end.

You should be excited and know your money is well spent. Dollar for dollar....value wise.....for a newer learner....you will not find a better weeklong piping/drumming school. Sure, there's some that are a little more intense, or some that might be equally as "fun". But none are held in such a lovely setting.

Comment

Originally posted by John Haack View Post
              I got a ton of stories. Most of them can't really be told in public.
              About 8 of us, all right around age 21 were there together one week. They smartly put us all in that little house way up the hill. It was all mostly good natured fun, except for the Taco Bell incident, and even then the kind officer saw no reason to arrest us or even cite us with anything, or even detain us for their safety and ours. Like I said, good natured. Although, the Taco Bell incident was admittedly pushing it.
              I'm going to need to hear what the "Taco Bell incident" was. Lol.
              Don't ask my neighbors about my piping skills. They don't know...

Comment

Working...
              X