The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which of you is tormenting this student?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which of you is tormenting this student?

Is this one of us?

'Struggling' Year 12 student pleads with mystery park bagpiper to stop playing
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-lockdown.html

Andrew
    A Year 12 student in Sydney's inner-west has stuck a note in Petersham Park pleading with a local bagpiper to take a break during lockdown as they struggle to focus on schooling during lockdown.
    Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. BDF Moderator
    BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Reminds me of the English officer who in 1864 remarked, "I did hope that we had got rid of them things for a bit".

Cheers -

Wes

Comment

I know my pipes are loud and they carry quite far on a still day... but seriously, if I'm tormenting a young fellow nearly 11,000 miles away... Damn I'm good!
      Breaching the peace? What bagpipes officer?

Comment

I'm just an aspiring tormentor.
        “Where’s my beer?”

Comment

Believe it or not, my Sister lives nearby in Petersham and can hear this guy play quite often. She has no idea who it is - was wondering that myself and what band he plays in. Probably might have come across him at some time or another.
          cheers
          Andrew
          O Wad some the giftie gie us
          To see ourselves as others see us

http://www.blacktownpipeband.com

Comment

Fascinating, Drew!

I was-tongue in-cheek with the use of the term “tormenting”. Though I am curious how this young student knows that the piper is a beginner…piping connoisseur?

Andrew

Comment

"Studies show the bagpipe can reach levels of 111 decibels outdoors while inside it can be as loud as a chainsaw reaching levels of 116 decibels."
              I know I make fairly easy reeds for my chanter, but 116db? I'm usually hitting around 100-106db.
              Before you start fixing problems with your reeds, check to see if the bag or stocks are leaking.
              http://www.youtube.com/user/Marcblur?feature=guide

Comment

This has to be what they found when looking up bagpipe dB for that article:
                https://bagpipe.news/2019/05/24/we-d...rt-to-lose-it/

Here's another though:
                https://www.pipesdrums.com/article/H...ound-Exposure/

Andrew

Comment

Wouldn't the dB level at least partly depend on where the meter is measuring from? i.e. right next to the chanter/drone top, vs. next to the piper's ear vs. some distance from the source (3 ft, 6 ft, etc.). Never measured dB's, so I'm actually curious. I've miked amps for stage before and I know it's preferred to mic off to the edge of the sound cone rather than directly in front where one might think it should go.
                  John

Comment

Yes, dB is very much a function of distance. dB is most useful when a distance is included, especially if there is not an expectation a set distance . . . unlike headphones, for instance.

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by piper Q View Post
                      I know my pipes are loud and they carry quite far on a still day... but seriously, if I'm tormenting a young fellow nearly 11,000 miles away... Damn I'm good!
                      Or your chanter reed is really strong ...

Comment

I just keep checking this thread waiting for the, "it was me" post haha
                        Check out the latest episode of my podcast if you want to hear to some historic piping tunes. You can find it on any of your favorite podcast listeners or here:

https://www.wetootwaag.com/

Comment

Not long ago I was traveling for work and found a local cemetery away from houses to practice. One night a gentleman came over and said he lived off in the distance and heard the pipes and wanted to see who was playing. Turns out he was a former PM for the local band and just wanted to chat with another player. It wasn't a complaint and we had a nice visit but I was surprised at how far the sound traveled as he had to have lived over a 1/4 of a mile away.

Comment

A long, long time ago, the Grade 5 band I was in was practicing in the empty parking lot of the church where we met. It was probably 8:30pm or so -- we tried to stop by 9 (as we had agreed to with the church). As we were marching about, a car pulled up and a guy got out and started walking towards us. Our PM walked over towards him and said, "Can I help you?" He started yelling about how he lived over a mile away and heard us every Wednesday and how much it bothered him and how we were the reason for all the "for sale" signs in the area. Granted, he might have been a bit hyperbolic, but to take his viewpoint for a moment, we were an average (barely) Gr 5 band (i.e. not all that good) and the sound does carry. I can see how some people might not welcome it. It pays to be considerate.

Comment

The Great Highland Bagpipe quickly separates those who can take it from those who can't.

Comment

Working...
                              X