The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which of you is tormenting this student?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heh. I've been having similar problems now that I'm living in an apartment again and no longer have an indoor room to practice in. It's been a problem finding an outdoor space within walking distance that isn't going to bother somebody. I've already been run off from my apartment grounds; other areas are bothersome to dog walkers; and the other day I was playing in a vacant field (up for sale) and a guy came out from the closest neighboring building -- about 200 yards away -- and asked me to shove off. The sound was bugging some workers inside, even thru closed windows, he said. (Of course, it only takes ONE complainer to make trouble for the poor piper, no matter how many other folks might not have cared or even enjoyed it.) So I'm in exile again, no idea what I'm going to do except drive to a park (and see who fusses then) and no idea what I'll do in inclement weather. I look forward to being a homeowner again in the next year.

In hindsight, I realize that I should have responded a la Slim Pickens in Blazing saddles -- "!#@&*%! that #!&#*!, I work for Mel Brooks!" That would have confused him beyond reckoning.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Gael View Post
      the English officer who in 1864 remarked, "I did hope that we had got rid of them things for a bit".
      That's interesting due to the timing coinciding with the restoration of Highland identity of the 91st Foot.

In 1809 due to the paucity of Highland recruits these six kilted Highland regiments lost their Highland dress and identity:

71st
      72nd
      73rd
      74th
      75th
      91st.

That left only five kilted Highland regiments:

42nd
      78th
      79th
      92nd
      93rd.

Three of the de-kilted regiments regained a form of Highland identity at various points:

72nd: in 1823 granted the wearing of tartan trews, and feather bonnets, giving them a unique appearance.

74th: in 1845 granted the wearing of trews (with shako).

91st: in 1864 granted the wearing of trews (with shako).

I can well see an English officer serving in the 91st in 1864 expressing dismay over having to wear tartan, and hearing the pipes in the Officers' Mess.

proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

Originally posted by piper909 View Post
        Heh. I've been having similar problems now that I'm living in an apartment again and no longer have an indoor room to practice in. It's been a problem finding an outdoor space within walking distance that isn't going to bother somebody. I've already been run off from my apartment grounds; other areas are bothersome to dog walkers; and the other day I was playing in a vacant field (up for sale) and a guy came out from the closest neighboring building -- about 200 yards away -- and asked me to shove off. The sound was bugging some workers inside, even thru closed windows, he said. (Of course, it only takes ONE complainer to make trouble for the poor piper, no matter how many other folks might not have cared or even enjoyed it.)
        Our band practices outside in the summer. While we've had a quite rare complaint in some locales, we've been lucky in our current setting (parking lot of a church). While practicing, all sorts of neighbors, and even church members who are not neighbors, come to listen, and even bringing lawn chairs, etc. We're fortunate....so far! As you say, it just takes one!

Comment

Working...
        X