The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was your proudest moment as a piper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand your feeling, el g.

I was PM of a Toronto Legion band at the Worlds at Belahuston Park in Grade 4 in 1993. Expecting nothing (we were on a Scottish tour and played at a couple of games) we were stunned to hear our name called for the best in Dress and Deportment for Grade 4. It took a moment to sink in, and then I took the long walk up to collect the trophy. When I got back, we just stood around looking at the trophy somewhat dumbfounded. One of the boys in a Junvenile band next to us said "You guys must win a lot. You're not even excited." In the standings, we were where we deserved - in the bottom half - though we did manage a third at Inverkeithing.

The feeling of pride came later.

Comment

Not really "proud" individual accomplishments, but fun things I did as one of the band: playing at two Rod Stewart concerts, a Chieftan's concert, and being invited to play in the Endymion parade in New Orleans. Great Mardi Gras, that was.

Comment

For me, winning overall G4 piper of the year in WUSPBA, along with playing for Jack Lee and winning my G4 Piobaireachd in Vegas.

Comment

Being assigned by my P/Maj to play the lament on Remembrance Day
          Not too old to rock & roll; Pipe on!

Comment

That time I did the scale - up and down - without crossing.
            “Where’s my beer?”

Comment

When my old Presbyterian Church celebrated it's Quasquicentennial​​​​​​ and I was a middle schooler, I saw the piper come down the aisle and thought to myself... I would love to play the pipes. 25 years later, when the Church had it's Sesquicentennial, I was their piper. It was also my first "official gig."
              “Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame”

Comment

Originally posted by el gaitero View Post
                we opted for ~$15 USAF surplus Mess Dress jackets and bow ties.
                We have a top-level piper here who still wears a surplus Mess Dress jacket! But I think his is US Navy.

proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

Originally posted by pancelticpiper View Post

We have a top-level piper here who still wears a surplus Mess Dress jacket! But I think his is US Navy.
                  Haha...those come with water wings....not propeller bow ties...

Comment

I am very proud of the era of piping I grew up in, the amazing players and people I was lucky enough to be surrounded by and the opportunities for learning, competing and travelling that afforded me.
                    I find it difficult to measure, or single out a 'proudest moment' but I'd say I had the best time, with the best people from '94 until about '01. Since then my piping story has been one of abject mediocrity

Comment

Playing the lament (Flowers of the forest ) as the lone piper at the Vimy Ridge memorial 50th anniversary when I was serving as a member of The Royal Scots pipes and drums. It was a memorable occasion and it inspired me to compose my slow air The pipers of Vimy.

Comment

Playing the 2016 Virginia International Tattoo!
                        Raibeart
                        Forum Regular
                        Last edited by Raibeart; 09-16-2021, 03:04 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I'd guess my proudest moment was about 4 years ago when I flew out to Oregon and played for my oldest grandson's wedding. Beautiful outdoor service at his in-laws farm, with a mountain for a backdrop. It was certainly worth all the aggravation of dealing with air travel.
                          All skill and effort are of no avail when an angel pees down your drones

Comment

Completing my piobaireachd in a competition when my left shoulder was out of the socket as a result an accident. Would have been better had I placed, though.. Surgery followed and I haven't been able to play at all since. 7 years later, I'm just getting back to the pipes now.
                            Loquax autem mutus es.

Comment

Originally posted by Piperpadre View Post
                              Completing my piobaireachd in a competition when my left shoulder was out of the socket as a result an accident. Would have been better had I placed, though.. Surgery followed and I haven't been able to play at all since. 7 years later, I'm just getting back to the pipes now.
                              So glad that you're back to it. What a terrible thought of not playing what we love. I had been thrown from my horse, breaking five ribs (figures it'd be on the left side), and was out for 6 months. I cannot imagine being out for years. Anyway, all the best in your recovery, back to playing, and now winning your next piobaireachd competition!!

Comment

Originally posted by EquusRacer View Post

So glad that you're back to it. What a terrible thought of not playing what we love. I had been thrown from my horse, breaking five ribs (figures it'd be on the left side), and was out for 6 months. I cannot imagine being out for years. Anyway, all the best in your recovery, back to playing, and now winning your next piobaireachd competition!!
                                Thank you! It's good to be back! I know all about broken ribs.... sorry to hear that. Surprisingly, my shoulder, although painful as it is when I play, does not present an insurmountable obstacle. he newly developed arthritis in my fingers is the latest challenge. I'm trying to address that through various means. I'm very much looking forward to getting back at it!
                                Loquax autem mutus es.

Comment

Working...
                                X