The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Finding Bagpipe Freedom" by Andrew Douglas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Finding Bagpipe Freedom" by Andrew Douglas

Anyone read it? Is it worth the money?

https://tfe86874.infusionsoft.app/ap...c-e2a1044b8065
    "Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you'd drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories."
    Ray Bradbury

Not sure about the book but I found Dojo University useful for going back over the basics. There are always tidbits you can continue to learn in piping no matter how many years you've been doing it. The only thing is it's taught from a perspective of "I know what I'm talking about, this is the way", which is fair but whether that is the best way for you or not is another choice. Many ways to achieve the same result at times. I'll still check out the book.
    Happy Piping

Comment

Kevin, I've read it. I've also read Performance: Delivering Your Own Awesome by Bruce Gandy and Practice Strategies that cause Musical Improvement by Dr. Stephanie Burns. I found value in them all.
      Chris Knife

Comment

Yes, it's an interesting read. There are some really useful insights in there, though I'd agree with William there is a lot of one-true-way-ism in there, and not all of it I agree with. And while there is a lot of useful material, there is also an awful lot of "here's what you should do - and to find out how, join the Dojo".

I think it is a good book, and worth having, but if you're swithering, I'd choose Steph's books and Rhythmic Fingerwork before this one.
        http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
        -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

Thanks, everyone! I actually have both of Dr. Burns' books, and I just bought Bruce's, so thst should keep me going for a while.

Content aside, a big turnoff for me is the fact that there's no ebook option with Andrew's book.

Cheers,
          Kevin
          "Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you'd drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories."
          Ray Bradbury

Comment

Working...
          X