The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fish & Wildlife Service Approved Appraiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish & Wildlife Service Approved Appraiser

Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone has a list of appraisers that meet the US Fish and Wildlife Service guidelines for appraising antique pipes with ivory for non-commercial import / export?

Guidelines are as follows:
    • The person executing the appraisal either has earned an appraisal designation from a recognized professional appraiser organization for demonstrated competency in appraising the type of property being appraised or can demonstrate verifiable education and experience in assessing the type of property being appraised.
    • The person executing the appraisal is not the importer, exporter, buyer, recipient or seller of the article; does not benefit from the results of the appraisal (other than for the cost of the appraisal); is not a party to any of the transactions associated with the article (including any person acting as an agent for the transaction); is not an employee of any business that is a party to the transaction; and is not related to the person claiming the exception.
    I have a set of Henry Starcks that I'd like to take with me when I move to the UK soon, but I'll want to be able to get them back as well. Any help would be appreciated!

RabCE,

My first two thoughts are--Ringo Bowen of--TheBagpipePlace.com
    and Jim McGillivray of--McGillivray Piping Inc.

Both are Members here--and both enjoy national--and international
    reputations in this field.

And--wishing you--the Best of Good Fortune with it all,

Pip01

My friends all know,
    With what a brave carouse...

Comment

Why do you want an appraisal? It isn't a requirement for the permits.

FWIW the language quoted above for the appraiser is standard for any appraisal and not specific to USFW.

Good luck with the move!
      Stephanie Allen
      @piperchickYYZ

Comment

Pip,

I'll reach out to both, thanks!

Stephanie,

The response I got from the agent I'm talking to was as follows:

"Second, while you have provided an appraisal which certifies the age of the instrument, there is no mention of which species of elephant the ivory was taken from. It is required that you either provide documentation that adequately shows which species the ivory came from (including but not limited to documents from the manufacturer for example) or you must present a signed statement from a certified appraiser. Once you have provided this information I can continue to process your permit."

This is what is driving my request.

Comment

Originally posted by RabCE View Post
          Pip,

"Second, while you have provided an appraisal which certifies the age of the instrument, there is no mention of which species of elephant the ivory was taken from. It is required that you either provide documentation that adequately shows which species the ivory came from (including but not limited to documents from the manufacturer for example) or you must present a signed statement from a certified appraiser. Once you have provided this information I can continue to process your permit."

This is what is driving my request.
          I was gobsmacked reading that about providing which species was involved. In both my Canadian and US CITES permits, all that was relevant was establishing pre-convention origins. What if the ivory came from old ivory billiard balls? Or the pipes were handed down through generations? Or other situations in which the species could not be established. That just seems above and beyond, and I didn't see any citations. Very curious (and a bit disturbing). Good luck, indeed!

Comment

Greetings, RabCE, Equus Racer, and to All,

Well...There are agents--and then there are agents--and just my experience--with a great
            amount of international travel is--if one happens--to stumble into one of those--who only
            seem to be--Hell Bent!!--in proving their bureaucratic mettle--simply go to their Superior--
            who is--In Charge--and these matters most usually--just disappear--in a puff of smoke!! :-)

There are many nice--bright--and reasonable people--in this Government Service. :-)

You'll get there!! Don't worry!! :-)

All the Best!!

Pip01

My friends all know,
            With what a brave carouse...

Comment

Working...
            X