The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My favorite part of teaching lessons at student's houses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My favorite part of teaching lessons at student's houses

My favorite part of going to student's houses for lessons is their dogs. My newest student has an absolute doll of a dog named Bentley, who is a rescue and most mild mannered. He likes to flop on the floor near us while we're at the practice chanters. Lately, he's started to very gently hum along. Not a loud howl, just matching the tone of the chanters. I swear the dog's got a good ear because he correctly changes pitch along with us. He's not so sure about the big pipes yet, but doesn't run away or show displeasure with them. A grand pooch with good pitch. If he had fingers, I'd give him his own chanter.
    Attached Files
    Before you start fixing problems with your reeds, check to see if the bag or stocks are leaking.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Marcblur?feature=guide

I have lessons at my instructor's house. The brown Labrador howls to let me know that my drones are out of tune when I strike in right out of the bag. In tune, he then settles down at our feet under the table.
    "Whether you believe you can do a thing or not, you are right."

Comment

Those are great stories (and experiences). They remind me, however, of the scene in the movie Amadeus where Mozart, strapped for money, tries to give a lesson at a home with a bunch of unruly dogs! I'm glad your experiences are more satisfying!

Comment

Originally posted by EquusRacer View Post
        Those are great stories (and experiences). They remind me, however, of the scene in the movie Amadeus where Mozart, strapped for money, tries to give a lesson at a home with a bunch of unruly dogs! I'm glad your experiences are more satisfying!
        One of my other students has two French Bulldogs and a Pug. The youngest Frenchie is spastic, but I am told I'm am its favorite person in the world. It has no compulsions about jumping into my lap and licking my face midway through playing Norman Orr Ewing. His pug likes to sing with the pipes, but I'm afraid poor Otis (O'tato, as I call him) is less than enthused and just wants to scream from the torture of living with spazoid frenchies.
        A funeral home complex I used to play for had a lovely golden retriever therapy dog named Zoe. For a couple of years, I would pipe the casket into the chapel and then go play with and pet Zoe by the fireplace until it was time to pipe the casket out (I always looked forward to those gigs). She had absolutely no problem with the pipes or whistles and we became best buddies. One morning, I was doing a funeral and hadn't seen and greeted Zoe as I came in. As I struck in the pipes to march the casket out, Zoe heard me, thunderously galloped down the long hall and slid into me like I was home base, leaning on me before curling up at my feet. She then accompanied us out to the hearse, half glued to my hip as we went. The family and pall bearers said it was the laugh they needed that day.
        Before you start fixing problems with your reeds, check to see if the bag or stocks are leaking.
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Marcblur?feature=guide

Comment

Greetings to All,

Though never having put myself forward as a teacher--there are
          those whom--over Time--have asked me to--help them "get started"--
          and I have done so--with basic fundamentals--and into playing a few
          good tunes--until such Time--as they were then ready--to move further
          forward--with more "professional" tuition--in their playing The Music.

And I have always gone to--traveled to--the students--as I always am
          preferring--that they spend their Time--on the pc--rather than in traffic--
          or in having to find a parking place. (Time--ever being--in short supply. :-)

They are more comfortable--and relaxed--and so am I. (Much the easier.)

Ah yes!! Puppy Dogs--of various weights and sizes--in the house--and most
          especially--when the student is transferring over to the pipes!! They sing!!
          They yowl!! They even--sometimes--cavort!!--and the students and I find
          these to be--of great encouragement--and a Joy!!

I have met some really nice people--and their canine compatriots--in this
          manner--and this is but one--of the many--side benefits--of being caught
          up--in The Piping Game. :-)

Regards to All,

Pip01

My friends all know,
          With what a brave carouse...

Comment

Working...
          X