The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noise Pollution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise Pollution?

Peter Piper in a pickle.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9VOQk1sgKU

Setting aside the fact that the noise complaint is about the pipes - which we all adore - I can sympathize with the suburban hockey fan neighbour who has to shut his windows everytime Mr. Hummell practices in the back yard while buddy's trying to watch the game. I mean, how else could he hear the play-by-play?

Yes, the cops have come by five times and assured the piper that he has broken no existing laws by playing pipes at a certain time, even though he's playing only a few feet from his neighbour's house. Buddy might not like the pipes, but may I suggest that any Leafs fan has perhaps suffered enough already?

The news segment ends with Mr. Hummell vowing not to stop playing until the pandemic ends, that is, for a rather long time

Here's my take:

1) Municipal laws governing noise complaints are often written too vaguely (i.e. "disturbing or loud noise') to be easily enforcable, stand up in court, as it's subjective not objective. Yes, there's a time of day restriction, but must we all wait for 9PM everyday for that teenager to stop revving her 2-stroke engine, or blasting industrial death-metal music? Effective, fair noise by-laws specify decibel level maximums measured from private property lines.

2) A basic tenet of civil society: not all of society's laws are written down; otherwise life would become utterly miserable with every little aspect of daily existence becoming choked with punishable crimes. We politely line up to get on a bus, for example, instead of everyone fighting to get on (at least where I live, thankfully). This is how we all get along peacefully without being reduced to cursing, threats, or even violence. Such small, everyday courtesies constitute the actions, or inactions, of being a good, civil citizen. Yes, Mr. Hummell has broken no written law.

3) A great pleasure and joy in life is to live peacefully with one's neighbours. Mr. Hummell smugly, repeatedly offends his neighbour without consideration, the slightest mitigation, and seemingly without thought of the possible consequences of his actions in the future.
    “Where’s my beer?”

Comment

What Billy said. It always puzzles me why it is the pipers who have least to offer in terms of performance ability have such a need to make themselves heard.
      http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
      -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

Recently, our band was paid to play at a determined spot for the Portland Marathon (said spot decided by the marathon committee). Unfortunately, it was in a mixed commercial and residential spot...and at 0700. The runners loved it as they ran past. But one resident (who unfortunately was not caught) threw eggs from the top of a four storey building. Another individual--more a gentleman than the cowardly egg tosser--came and spoke with me, complaining about us playing so early and in this spot. Though not happy, he thanked me for explaining the circumstances. I said, "Yes, I know bagpipes can be loud and annoying, especially this early." He said, "Oh, I'm not bothered by the bagpipes; it's the drums that are so irritating." Bwaahaahaaa!

Comment

Good points, all.

Calum I think about this also sometimes. It seems that the lowest performing pipers are indeed sometimes the players with the largest need to make themselves heard in my experience. Perhaps it's a goal of playing just well enough to participate in pageantry of ceremonies or parades or similar? These types of events are what make the news and what the general public see I think, they repeat the cultural idea that Highland pipes are shrill and/or out of tune.

Mr. Hummell isn't the worst, but the chanter isn't tuned well and it's just not polished in my opinion.. same overall effect for the public. Good cause but poor implementation.

I think that the "piper's piper" who works hard to be properly in tune, find their intonation, and generally are striving to play at their level best through competitions etc. are the players more likely than not to be the pipers who don't want to be heard by neighbors. It's not about becoming proficient enough to play for the public, it's about becoming proficient enough to bring more meaning to my personal life. Whether I actually do or do not, I don't feel that I have the playing ability to be on my front lawn pumping tunes to the masses unless truly ready to be vulnerable and expose that "meaning" publicly (other than having to for competitions etc.).
          Happy Piping

Comment

Originally posted by Calum View Post
            What Billy said. It always puzzles me why it is the pipers who have least to offer in terms of performance ability have such a need to make themselves heard.
            The guy was just playing his pipes, would the complaints have been less had he been able to play to your superior standard?
            Would the story have ever made the TV had it not been bagpipes, I mean, barking dogs would not have made the cut.

Comment

Originally posted by T.Ackland View Post
              The guy was just playing his pipes, would the complaints have been less had he been able to play to your superior standard?
              Fair point Terry and hard to say. But it probably doesn't help if the loud instrument you play also does not sound "sweet", or in tune, or especially pleasing like it is capable of. I barely want to listen to my own instrument/abilities at times and yet I'm a piper myself, not general public.

Would the story have ever made the TV had it not been bagpipes, I mean, barking dogs would not have made the cut.
              True. I suppose it's the fact that they're bagpipes which is "interesting/unique" in its own right plus for a cause that can be viewed as noble or debatable that makes the story interesting. Though to be fair I do see stories on dogs or similar at times which don't have these qualities. Both are kind of stoking the "who do we think as a culture are in the right or the wrong in this situation?".

Happy Piping

Comment

I play *inside* my house.

I absolutely hate my neighbor. He lets his dog bark. What an @$$hole.
                My Piping Blog (recordings, articles, reviews, etc.) - Homepage - Pekaar's Tune Encyclopedia - Convert BMW to ABC

Comment

It's not the standard that is the problem for me, it is the attitude. And my point was that that standard and attitude often go hand in hand.

The neighbour interviewed on that clip came across as very reasonable and even-handed, given the situation. I suspect that had the piper in question shown that he was working to improve his standard of play and that his practices were directed towards that end, he might have gotten a better reception. But ultimately he is behaving like a ***head and hiding behind his instrument and no-one who can play to a decent standard does that.

Comment

It's not the standard that is the problem for me, it is the attitude. And my point was that that standard and attitude often go hand in hand.

The neighbour interviewed on that clip came across as very reasonable and even-handed, given the situation. I suspect that had the piper in question shown that he was working to improve his standard of play and that his practices were directed towards that end, he might have gotten a better reception. But ultimately he is behaving like a ***head and hiding behind his instrument and no-one who can play to a decent standard does that.
                    While I don't know if any improved standard would make a difference, I have to agree with Calum about the attitude. It's not as bad as some I've encountered who appear, at times, to purposely challenge protests (and I agree they often suck at playing...but that correlation is another debate). The sign that he had made (and sold!) underscored what I viewed as an "It's my right" attitude (or is it an "In your face" attitude?). Expressing our right is not the same as doing what's right.

Comment

Well... 'Twas ever thus... :-)

Some people like it--and some people just shan't.
                      Some will approve--and some--just can't.
                      Our courtesy for others--that we should employ
                      Shall lessen their "bother"--and so add to the Joy.

Be thoughtful of neighbors--those who surrounding--
                      Cannot escape--The Music--abounding!!
                      And yes--we are loud--but here's my belief...
                      Wisely choose time and setting--to lessen their grief.

Our goal--is to uplift--and not to bother--or degrade...
                      And should be reflected--in the choices we've made.
                      Play well--and politely--and never--intrude...
                      And so--and in general--receive--gratitude...

And so--Play On!!--while doing--What's Right!!
                      Happy playing to all--and to all--a good night!!

My friends all know,
                      With what a brave carouse...

Comment

Pip hip, hooray!
                        “Where’s my beer?”

Comment

I posted the link because I thought it amusing, If I had know there would be below the belt remarks on the Peter's ability, I would not have posted. It is very possible that Peter is a member of this forum?
                          He looks to be doing OK to me, piping for fun and not to earn a crust.

Comment

Yes, there are pipers of all levels, and if they are happy, that's wonderful. If they are choosing, deliberately, to be an antisocial nuisance in their neighbourhood, then I think it is pretty reasonable to pass comment on them.

Comment

Yes, there are pipers of all levels, and if they are happy, that's wonderful. If they are choosing, deliberately, to be an antisocial nuisance in their neighbourhood, then I think it is pretty reasonable to pass comment on them.
                              Sure, you can make a comment on his behavior, but to comment on his playing is trolling, correct?

Comment

Working...
                              X