The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Noise Pollution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, I don't think so. People who improve as musicians tend to have a certain level of self-awareness, which this guy clearly lacks. If he has just started playing and is improving quickly, he needs to be told how to represent the instrument in public. If he is not working to improve, then, well, what is he doing at all?
    http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
    -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

A large part of the public take a dim view of the pipes. I maintain that that is the result, at least in part, of a large number of pipers who shouldn't play in public (yet -- let's be generous) but do. People think pipes sound bad because the pipes they've heard do sound bad! Not to be elitist but there it is..... And yes in my early days I was sometimes that guy

Comment

Originally posted by Calum View Post
        No, I don't think so. People who improve as musicians tend to have a certain level of self-awareness, which this guy clearly lacks. If he has just started playing and is improving quickly, he needs to be told how to represent the instrument in public. If he is not working to improve, then, well, what is he doing at all?
        Peter the Piper has so far, 5808 Youtube hits, yours is 487?

Comment

Yes, my barely promoted video addressing a relatively abstruse point of idiom for a technical audience achieved around 10% of the views that a video posted by a media conglomerate broadcasting to millions did. I regard that as pretty reasonable performance, actually, not that it has anything to do with the subject in hand.
          http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
          -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

Originally posted by Raibeart View Post
            A large part of the public take a dim view of the pipes. I maintain that that is the result, at least in part, of a large number of pipers who shouldn't play in public (yet -- let's be generous) but do. People think pipes sound bad because the pipes they've heard do sound bad! Not to be elitist but there it is..... And yes in my early days I was sometimes that guy
            I completely agree! Many of the insta/YouTube piping superstars etc are really far from it, but they have the balls (and lack of self awareness) to put themselves out there.

To pick up on what T.Ackland said earlier, to comment on the pipers competence is not trolling IMHO. If you put yourself out there, if your head is above the parapet it likely to get blown off. We've all seen the deluded roasters on [insert talent tv programme name here] etc, but on the other hand the talented singers and musicians that strive for perfection but rarely perform or post on social media. Piping is no different in its general social make up, unfortunately those confident people get more airtime and, in turn hurt the image of the instrument and the people that play them.

If the guy enjoys his own playing, that is great! But for the love of all that is Holy, he should do it in his own home/practice space away from others UNLESS specifically asked to play at a function/party.

PS - I do post stuff online, but I am very selective. Only my best at the time gets uploaded. It takes all my strength and resolve not to take it down as I never think it's good enough.
            Last edited by Mac an t-Sealgair; 10-20-2021, 06:17 AM. Reason: Edit to add PS

Comment

Originally posted by T.Ackland View Post

Peter the Piper has so far, 5808 Youtube hits, yours is 487?
              5808 folk that now A) hate the sound of the pipes and B) think we're all inconsiderate. But that's alright, because it's on that jokey instrument that makes a racket and the weirdos that play them like to get dressed up like braveheart.

As has been said, it wouldn't have made the news unless it was bagpipes with some dressed up crazy hawk playing them.
              So, it's not the guy or the playing that grinds me, it's the whole article. It's the fact the instrument, music, community and history are a joke to the majority of people. The more hits this article gets means more articles like this in the future, portraying out instrument in a poor light.

We've all gone a wee bit off piste here. Sorry for that.
              Last edited by Mac an t-Sealgair; 10-20-2021, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Having known this particular bagpipe player for the majority of time he has been playing bagpipes, and played and performed alongside him for several years, I can quite assure you that there is a major attitude involved, with a complete lack of consideration for others around him. His playing in his yard has been happening for the best part of at least 6 or 7 years. This is not just a new thing to honour the front line workers. I have spoken to the neighbour, who appears to be a very reasonable person, and can quite sympathize with him. Unfortunately, the news coverage chose to leave out a majority of the interview they did with him.

Comment

Deleting my comment.
                  Last edited by sjcavy; 10-20-2021, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post

As has been said, it wouldn't have made the news unless it was bagpipes with some dressed up crazy hawk playing them.
                    So, it's not the guy or the playing that grinds me, it's the whole article. It's the fact the instrument, music, community and history are a joke to the majority of people. The more hits this article gets means more articles like this in the future, portraying out instrument in a poor light.
                    This summarizes the whole situation nicely, and I especially agree with the last statement.

To put this in a different light, what if the instrument being played was the electric guitar, and the neighbor in question was jamming out to Van Halen's "Eruption" (at a low standard) every night? There would be no news crew, no controversy; it would just be some guy playing poor quality music and annoying his neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by cap10moe View Post
                      Having known this particular bagpipe player for the majority of time he has been playing bagpipes, and played and performed alongside him for several years, I can quite assure you that there is a major attitude involved, with a complete lack of consideration for others around him. His playing in his yard has been happening for the best part of at least 6 or 7 years. This is not just a new thing to honour the front line workers. I have spoken to the neighbour, who appears to be a very reasonable person, and can quite sympathize with him. Unfortunately, the news coverage chose to leave out a majority of the interview they did with him.
                      First of all, cap10moe, welcome to this Forum! Second, thank you for perspective from someone with more specific knowledge of the situation and participant. All the best; and, again, welcome.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the video gives the idea that these outdoor performances have been going on nearly everyday through a good portion of the pandemic? And how long does each session last? After that long, I wouldn't care if it's Ross Ainsley living next to me if the sound is going on for extended periods of time. If being obstinate is hiding behind a veneer of tribute to our first line responders, it's pretty cheap jingoism and probably needs to tone it down a bit.
                        If the kid living next to me pulls up with his house shaking boom thump speakers blaring on his car every once in a while (it's happened), I can grit my teeth, think him an idiot and endure it for a bit, knowing I too can produce noises that are less than pleasant to some. If I'm getting a twenty minute boom-thump concert every day for months on end, there's probably going to be a discussion.
                        Before you start fixing problems with your reeds, check to see if the bag or stocks are leaking.
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/Marcblur?feature=guide

Comment

We are all ambassadors of the instrument. Behave accordingly if you want respect.

Comment

It seems the courteous thing to have done would be to have inquired of his neighbors before starting playing outside, seeing if there were particular times that would be particularly poor times to play (baby's nap time, person with sensitivity to loud sounds, special TV programs, etc), then honor those. Living in town, putting up with a certain level of neighborhood sound is just part of the auditory landscape. Best would be just to play inside or find a local park that would permit playing. I think this would have happened if the musician played the tuba, drums, piccolo... though pipers do tend to garner more attention from the media. I agree that his attitude seemed less than neighborly.

Comment

Working...
                            X