The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Spoilers for Dune) You all should be glad to know ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Spoilers for Dune) You all should be glad to know ...

That the Great Highland Bagpipe survives until the year 10191 AD.

And--all to their--Good!! :-)
    My friends all know,
    With what a brave carouse...

Comment

Maybe it's the fabled Time-Travelling Piper who materializes in movies whenever, wherever needed to provide that extra special GHB magic which nothing else could ever provide.
      “Where’s my beer?”

Comment

Except the audio is comically bad synth, it’s ridiculous. Apparently the expectation is for bagpipes to sound like some hack non-sense.
        My Piping Blog (recordings, articles, reviews, etc.) - Homepage - Pekaar's Tune Encyclopedia - Convert BMW to ABC

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post
          Except the audio is comically bad synth, it’s ridiculous. Apparently the expectation is for bagpipes to sound like some hack non-sense.
          Maybe the bagpipes 20,000 years in the future are all synth, haha.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNUJFXWuEYk

Is this the track in question?
            http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
            -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

Thanks, Calum. Do we think those are GHBs or some other instrument (or rendition thereof)?

Comment

Originally posted by Calum View Post

Yes, full set of highland pipes are in view corresponding to what you hear at 1:30 in that track.
                My Piping Blog (recordings, articles, reviews, etc.) - Homepage - Pekaar's Tune Encyclopedia - Convert BMW to ABC

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick McLaurin View Post

Yes, full set of highland pipes are in view corresponding to what you hear at 1:30 in that track.
                  Do what we see (and I admit I haven't seen any on this) match what we hear?

Comment

You can’t see the guys fingers. I’m guessing that’s what you’re asking since the sound is absolutely nothing like highland pipes. And the grandfather was a matador. I think the author just liked throwing in random cultural crap.

Comment

Untitled design - 2021-10-25T135358.421.png.jpg According to an article in The National, the movie's composer (Hans Zimmer) describes the making of the sound in question...

'“The pandemic had just started, but lo and behold, within seconds, in Edinburgh, I managed to find 30 bagpipe players, who were more than happy to go into a big church and stand at the right distance from each other and make a fabulous noise.”

'Composer Zimmer described the overall score for the film as spiritual without being religious, and often altered the sounds of instruments using the Cubase – a virtual synthesiser.'
                      Last edited by Billy Boy; 10-25-2021, 10:05 PM.
                      “Where’s my beer?”

Comment

That's odd. I thought that Lorne MacDougall, Chris Armstrong and Finlay Macdonald had contributed to the piping in Dune under the guidance of Hans Zimmer. They're certainly listed on the soundtrack CD. I guess the post production resulted in the synth type sound. I've been using Cubase since the 90s, it's easy enough to do, I guess the question is WHY would you want to do it?
                        Callander Pipe Band FB page Please click and "like". Thanks
                        Lowland and Borders Piper's Society

Comment

Originally posted by Calum

Greetings to All,

I find myself hard pressed--to discover any correlation--between the above
                          soundtrack--and the photos--in Billy Boy's Post-- # 46. (??)

Pipes?? Oh!! No!! :-(

More like a badly tinned-up--and ghastly --hurdy-gurdy--or some such--to
                          my poor ears. (And I both like--and appreciate--the hurdy-gurdy. :-)

Ah--what price--fashion?? :-)

Regards to All,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 10-27-2021, 10:32 AM.
                          My friends all know,
                          With what a brave carouse...

Comment

I would love to learn more about who played on this and how the session was recorded and planned. While others have mentioned the synth-y quality of the sound, I definitely heard the chanters, albeit with an augmented scale and a more Breton/Galician vibe (which I think fits the euro-Celt aesthetic of the early parts of the movie). While it would have been nice to see the pipes played on screen, this was, in my opinion, far superior to something like Braveheart where you see a highland piper and hear uilleann piping.

Comment

J.R., here you go on the why: https://www.thenational.scot/news/19...21-adaptation/

And, not that it matters, but I thought similar thoughts as you until I read this above the spark for why. I can dig it all.
                              Chris Knife

Comment

Working...
                              X