The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Funeral bagpiper 'racially abused'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funeral bagpiper 'racially abused'

Funeral bagpiper 'racially abused'
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...bused-25402370

Have you ever been verbally abused while piping?

Andrew
    Pipe Major Steven Granger says he was abused by a man who lives close to Cardross Crematorium near Dumbarton.
    Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. • BDF Moderator
    BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Nice how the guy who lives beside the entrance of a Scots crematorium is outraged by the sound of bagpipes. He must love getting angry on a regular basis.

We now live in a strange world where there's 'antisocial behaviour officers'. I wonder if people are issued warnings about their bad vibes. It would be nice to see the official list of infractions.
    “Where’s my beer?”

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lenz View Post

Andrew
      Not quite in that way. However, when we played for the Portland Marathon, some guy pelted us with eggs from a roof top. He then came down (we believe it was the same guy) and screamed obscenities from across the street. By that time, the runners were coming through in force and he disappeared. The egg throwing was the worst part, and police were too busy with the run.

Comment

St Patrick’s Day gigs in bars and pubs….in Texas. After the requisite combined band performances, our band would divide up to cover multiple small gigs for a few tunes in multiple locations. Alcohol-fueled bravado would sometimes manifest as shloshed green beer and derogatory insults from ‘manly’ men. I grew to really dislike solo piping for events on that day/night.

aside…playing in a kilted Celtic band that day was always great fun. Fiddles, flutes, whistles, pipes, etc…did not raise the bravado beast. Never experienced problems with that genre of music performance.

Comment

That part of the world (I was born just up the road) has a large, let us say, middle class population, from all over the UK, and even when I was young I can remember there being elements of friction at times. I mean, I can understand not enjoying a succession of pipers of variable quality tuning up in your front garden on a regular basis, but then, one always has the option to not move into a crematorium...!

The trick is to learn the difference between groups of men who want to be drunk and lairy and shout a bit, and those who have other things going on in their heads and for whom you are just a convenient outlet for their anger. The latter you tend not to see coming.
          http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
          -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lenz View Post
            Only by my instructor or pipe major.
            Famous Last Words:
            "There's only 9 notes...how hard can it be?!"

Comment

Greetings to All,

Perhaps--just Lucky--but other than--the occasional--and
              by that I mean--exceedingly rare--"offhand remark"-- by a
              single individual--here and there--about their not liking pipe
              music--I have never experienced any of these occurrences.

As noted above--there are those--who are always in search
              of--some outlet--and target--for their roiling--and their quite
              unhappy--inside anger--what ever its far-back source might
              have been. (??)

As there is no--gainsaying such--always best--if our speech
              can not be avoided--to simply offer--"a quiet word"--to help
              "calm the waters"--and to then move on--and away--from
              such clinically unhappy--and never to be satisfied--people.

As our office is--to play the pipes--and to uplift--there is
              never any gain--to our becoming embroiled--in a "psych
              referral."

Wishing--Happy--and Uncomplicated Piping--to All, :-)

Pip01

My friends all know,
              With what a brave carouse...

Comment

The most unfortunate part, among many unhappy components of such interactions, is how it may affect those mourning a loved one. Whether one likes the pipes or not is beside the question; we all are called to respect the experience of those who are grieving and nobody should ever interject their personal preferences or peeves on such occasions. Hopefully our quiet words can help diffuse these situations before they come to the attention of the mourners.

Comment

One bit by a MrsGee from the comments section in the linked article had me on the floor: "Hope his next jobbie is a hedgehog."
                  Before you start fixing problems with your reeds, check to see if the bag or stocks are leaking.
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/Marcblur?feature=guide

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Boy View Post
                    We now live in a strange world where there's 'antisocial behaviour officers'
                    It's sad we live in a world where "antisocial behaviour officers" might be needed

Comment

Working...
                    X