The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MacLellan drones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MacLellan drones

For your Maclellan pipe players (or those who know Maclellan pipe players): what drone reeds make you happy?
    Thanks!
    Eddie
    "All politeness is owing to Liberty. We polish one another, and rub off our Corners and rough Sides by a sort of amicable Collision." Lord Shaftesbury

Rockets were always good when I owned MacLellans. Redwoods and Cannings were also nice IIRC.
    Happy Piping

Comment

Originally posted by William McKenzie View Post
      Rockets were always good when I owned MacLellans. Redwoods and Cannings were also nice IIRC.
      Thank you, William. Rockets sound splendid in them. I've got those in the tenor drones now, but the Rockets are going back in my old Henderson set when those pipes are ready for solo work again. These MacLellan pipes haven't been played much for about 12 years, and need a good new set of drone reeds (though I'll probably use one of my cane reeds for the bass) for daily playing. I don't want to be swapping them out since I've got the Rockets set up very well for the older (1905) Henderson drones. I'd get another set of Rockets, but I don't believe they are available any longer.
      Eddie
      "All politeness is owing to Liberty. We polish one another, and rub off our Corners and rough Sides by a sort of amicable Collision." Lord Shaftesbury

Comment

Rockets aren't made any longer but truthfully IMO they were special at the time because the market for drone reeds wasn't that mature. Years on now there are so many excellent reeds available. And those who have Rockets ask way too much for them considering they aren't adjustable for blowing pressure or pitch (technically they have puddy to put in the nose cone but..).

So many other great modern options such MG White Mambas, especially if you plan on running the cane bass and using synthetic tenors (excellent combination).
        Happy Piping

Comment

Originally posted by William McKenzie View Post
          Rockets aren't made any longer but truthfully IMO they were special at the time because the market for drone reeds wasn't that mature. Years on now there are so many excellent reeds available. And those who have Rockets ask way too much for them considering they aren't adjustable for blowing pressure or pitch (technically they have puddy to put in the nose cone but..).

So many other great modern options such MG White Mambas, especially if you plan on running the cane bass and using synthetic tenors (excellent combination).
          Hello, William. I do believe you are right about that. It seems that drone reed development has advanced greatly since Rockets were first popular. I've been cycling through some of the old sets of reeds that I collected (all of them about as old as the Rockets), and so far a couple of them give the Rockets a run for their money; some Canning tenors sound very pleasing in the MacLellans. I only use cane bass reeds, so I'm good there, but I thought it might be a good idea to buy a new set of tenors, since all of my reeds are eleven years or older. However, I've been cured of the obsession to buy and try everything I could get my hands on; now I just want to play what I have and buy as little new as is necessary. These Cannings might do the trick for now...
          Eddie

Comment

Kinnaird Evolution
            "What we play is life." - Louis Armstrong

Comment

Originally posted by John McCain View Post
              Kinnaird Evolution
              Thank you, John. Do you play those in a Maclellan pipe? What do you like about them?
              Eddie

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Selden View Post

Thank you, John. Do you play those in a Maclellan pipe? What do you like about them?
                Yes, I have a set in cocobolo and a set in ABW. Evos in both sets. Full, harmonically rich drone reeds. They're cheap enough to try.

Comment

Yes, I have a set in cocobolo and a set in ABW. Evos in both sets. Full, harmonically rich drone reeds. They're cheap enough to try.
                  Thank you again, John! That is great to hear. I apologize for pestering you again, but have you by any chance played the Evo tenors with a cane bass? I'm using one of those in the MacLellans now, and it plays well (and would save a few dollars).
                  Eddie

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Selden View Post

Thank you again, John! That is great to hear. I apologize for pestering you again, but have you by any chance played the Evo tenors with a cane bass? I'm using one of those in the MacLellans now, and it plays well (and would save a few dollars).
                    No, sorry. I did have all canes in the cocobolo set for years. They were the best, but I needed a bit more reliability.

Comment

No, sorry. I did have all canes in the cocobolo set for years. They were the best, but I needed a bit more reliability.
                      Hello, John. Though I have four or five reliable cane bass reeds, and use them exclusively, I never quite mastered cane tenors. After several minutes of warm up, the bass reeds are steady and reliable, but I could never get the tenors to behave quite so well and never really felt the need to play them. Several artificial tenor brands ensemble well with a cane bass. I don't care about the cool factor of playing cane reeds; I use the cane bass only because they do produce a warm and full tone that I haven't found quite so well matched in an artificial reed.
                      Eddie

Comment

Didn't realize it was a cool factor to play all cane. I think I'll do it again. I need all the cool I can get.

Comment

In my Macs (blackwood), I have played over the years:

-Full set EZ drones, -good sound, reliable but in my opinion the bass was always lacking something. Blended well though.
                          -Full Set of Rockets (glass tongues, model number/serial number has since worn off), -great sound, reliable. I tend to agree with the comments above, however my rockets still sound great.
                          -Cane bass, EZ tenors -fun tone, I just need to spend more time with the cane.
                          -Full set, Cannings. -Great tone, blends well. I believe Roddy plays Cannings. Heard that once somewhere.
                          -Henderson Harmonic Bass (Carbon Fiber) and Rocket Tenors. -This was my go to for a LOOOONG time.
                          -Currently switching between Ackland 480s and Canning Tenors with XTreme bass. Love the Xtreme bass, really deep and dark that compliments the Canning Tenors.

Comment

Working...
                          X