The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many practice chanters do you own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andrew Lenz View Post
    Are we counting only non-powered ones?

Andrew
    Hah! I admit I have a Fagerstrom, that I didn't even consider.
    proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

When I first started piping a few years ago, I was amazed at how many folks in the band had multiple chanters, and for the life of me couldn't figure out why. Did they need them for different purposes or tunes? No. Different climate conditions? Also no. Just... because? Yes.

That being said, I now have four practice chanters (including a Fagerstrom), and am still tempted when I see other "classic" chanters pop up for sale in the Trading Post.

Comment

Technically, none. I have a Mark Cushing A SSP chanter with a PC top he made for it which I occasionally use. My son has an old ( 1970s) Lawrie I started with a lifetime ago, but doesn’t play.
        I prefer to work up tunes directly on the pipes, GHB, LBP and SSP. I sometimes use the Cushing chanter for quiet practice: blowing so lightly that the reed doesn’t sound, but I can hear the pitch change with the fingering.
        Last edited by Klondike Waldo; 11-24-2021, 09:49 AM.
        Slainte Leibh/ Slan Leat, Bob Cameron

Comment

Originally posted by Elizur Wright View Post
          When I first started piping a few years ago, I was amazed at how many folks in the band had multiple chanters, and for the life of me couldn't figure out why. Did they need them for different purposes or tunes? No. Different climate conditions? Also no. Just... because? Yes.
          I felt the same way, and started with one. As Pip mentioned, other circumstances arose. For me, I was gifted one, which got me on the road so many years ago. But it was a cheap one that cracked. So I invested in a more quality ABW one. Then I wanted a plastic one to have in the car, and not worry about temp or other condition changes. Then I tried a long one (went back to standard; but still, that's another). Then when my instructor died, I inherited all his. Then I found my current old Henderson in a kind of music/pawn shop (they didn't have a clear idea of its value). Then I had students, on and on (yes, as Andrew mentioned, there are the electronic ones, too).

But I also wondered about those who have a large number of bagpipe sets. I'm not referring to different types of pipes (e.g., GHB, small pipes, shuttle, etc.), but to all sorts of standard GHB. I've only had one set of GHB at a time (I had a beginner set, which I sold when I bought my current set 38 years ago). Yet my wife, who no longer plays, when started out, bought three sets! And she was just beginning! I asked her why? "Because I got great deals", was her response. Well, we sold one set; and another sits to be sold. But I'm glad she has the third (it's a early 1900s Lawrie), for I can now have that as a back-up if I leave the country (mine has ivory; so I won't leave the country with it).

Comment

Too many. a ~dozen at last count,...old RGH,RGL,PH,etc,..some ivoried;...I’ve thot about shedding many...just keep forgetting to getting around to post them.
            The absolute keeper is an old coccus full ivory David Glen in impeccable condition.

Comment

After reading these, I feel quite inadequate with only two PCs: poly and ABW Naills. Enough to rotate during a long practice session, not too many to steer money away from pipe gear.
              Eddie
              "All politeness is owing to Liberty. We polish one another, and rub off our Corners and rough Sides by a sort of amicable Collision." Lord Shaftesbury

Comment

Originally posted by EquusRacer

I felt the same way, and started with one.
                As Pip mentioned, other circumstances arose.

Yet my wife, who no longer plays, when started out,
                bought three sets!

And she was just beginning! I asked her why?
                "Because I got great deals", was her response.

But I'm glad she has the third (it's a early 1900s Lawrie),
                for I can now have that as a back-up if I leave the country...

Greetings to EquusRacer, and to All,

Hmm--now into--"The Multi-Sets of Pipes" Soup!! :-)

And--yes--"circumstances arose"--and--"I got great deals."

When ever I bump into--an old--and grand--set of pipes-- my
                first thoughts always are--these need to be saved!!--so that
                they may be--passed on--to a Good Home--where they shall
                be lovingly played--and warmly cherished. :-)

So for me--it is always--Stewardship--rather than--acquisition.

And sometimes--it does take a bit of bother--and a great glob
                of that Old Rascal Time--to find the proper Good Home for them--
                but afterwards--it is warming--to know of them--back out into the
                world--and being played--and loved.

And so--it now falls to us--to help sustain--The Piping Game--
                that we have so fortunately--been bequeathed... :-)

Regards--and Good Fortune!!--to All,

Pip01

My friends all know,
                With what a brave carouse...

Comment

Even I (a non-piper) have a practice chanter. I asked my drumming son the other day how many practice pads he has, and he thought for a second and came up with 9. I can imagine that snare drumming pads all have different sounds and applications just like practice chanters.
                  Margaret

Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Comment

Working...
                  X