The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camaraderie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camaraderie

On the topic of "beer tents"...or related...if you play in a band or with a group, how often do you go out (e.g., to a pub) after practice sessions and/or gigs? For 42 years, I've gone out with my bandmates--or some of them--after every practice. And after every gig, we generally find some place for a meal, a pint or something. Yet when we have some newer players show up from other bands, I find that they are surprised that we do that; and most say that their band has never done that. They find the camaraderie of our band, being interested in gathering outside practices, etc. is unusual. And yet I'm equally surprised when I hear that others don't engage in such activities. How about you and any mates you have?

Almost always, that's the point....
    but covid restrictions really put a damper on everything....our only place close by to get a pint now closes before we end practice.
    I hope to see a return to normalcy, and pints, soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Lochie View Post
      Almost always, that's the point....
      but covid restrictions really put a damper on everything....our only place close by to get a pint now closes before we end practice.
      I hope to see a return to normalcy, and pints, soon...
      Yes, indeed, on your hopes, Lochie. Fortunately, our place stays open late. They now even set up a section with "reserved" signs, knowing we'll descend! (It's usually about a dozen of us after practice (and, yes, masks required).

Comment

I gathered that pints after practice or gig was kinda the main charm of pipe band membership.
        “Where’s my beer?”

Comment

I'm the PM.
          After each practice, I have earned, and need, a pint....

Comment

Our band rarely gathered for social events outside of practice/performing. Practice was in the evening and typically finished about 9PM, most of us were dog meat . . . a phrase my former PM is fond of using. If a gig involved food, we'd eat as a group, but that was about the extent of it. Nonetheless, we all still bonded as friends and colleagues.

Andrew
            Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. • BDF Moderator
            BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

Greetings to All,

But one--of the un-looked for "extras"--in The Piping Game--is the
              meeting up with--others--with whom one experiences an equally
              un-expected--"Camaraderie"--of--(and as well as The Music)--
              other interests--and inclinations. :-)

After the practice--after the drill--after the engagement--going
              out afterwards--for a bit of drink--or a bite to eat--and a bit of
              chat--with those with whom one--gets on--always serves to be
              of great assistance--to the cohesiveness--of the entire group.

But a part of my Providential Good Fortune--are the Fast Friends
              and the Good Mates--whose initial acquaintanceship--was made
              through--and because of--my regular band memberships--and in
              our playing in massed band settings--or in the "Stand Down" time
              in parades with other bands--and not to mention--the "free flow"
              of conversations surrounding-- any of The Games. :-)

In the six bands for--and in which--I have played (four in the past--
              in North America--and two--still and on-going--one in South America
              and one in Europe--and we get together once a year) --all--save
              the first one--always gathered with families--for social occasions--
              and with that first one--we were damned near-- always in each
              others hip pockets!!--and so the families--knew each other well. :-)

Now--our present two-year public health crisis--greatly curtails
              these activities--but I highly recommend such--and for any group--
              as Time and Tide--shall so allow.

Regards to All,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; Yesterday, 01:51 PM.
              My friends all know,
              With what a brave carouse...

Comment

Working...
              X