The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recent Starck auction activity…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent Starck auction activity…

Several sets recently selling on eBay. I don’t recall seeing this many sets hitting the auction block. Some in rough shape, some not. In reading reviews about these pipes, I see a mix of comments than range from high quality to difficult to reed.
    What are your thoughts about Starck sets?

I don't have any person experience, but these may help:
    https://piping.on.ca/product/henry-s...ll-ivory-1923/
    https://www.thebagpipemuseum.com/the.../starck-henry/

Andrew
    Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. BDF Moderator
    BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

Greetings, Toxpert, and to All,

My first set of pipes--my Old Set--1916 Lawries--came
      with--a 1916 Starck chanter--that was acquired at the
      same time--in the same shop--to compliment the drones.

I also have a set of Starck mini-pipes--or parlor pipes--
      and of equal quality.

And--over Time--I have seen--handled--and played--
      several sets of Starck pipes--from the 1900s through
      the 1930s and 40s.

My first thoughts?? If a set becomes available to you--
      Get Them!!--and you'll ne'er go wrong!!

Now--some may be in rougher condition than others--
      but with the fine craftsmen--and shops available to
      us (and Dunbar Limited leaps quickly to mind!! :-) --it
      is with a bit of--reconditioning--refurbishment--or even
      repair--that any buyer--shall soon have--a truly grand
      set of pipes!!--that shall sing--and last--yet another 100
      years!!

And as for--"difficult to reed"--and I can only think that
      this must refer to the chanter--because all of the Starcks
      that I have seen and played--were quite easily fitted with
      several types (omitting cane) of synthie drone reeds--
      depending on the piper--and all played as they ought.

As for--any "difficult to reed" chanter--well--ain't we--just
      gotten--bloody well spoiled?! :-)

Crikey!! Grab a handful of cane chanter reeds--and muck
      about--waltz about--tussle about--with them--until you are
      then graced--with the sound--that captures-- and enthralls.

And wishing Good Fortune--to All,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 11-27-2021, 10:23 AM.
      My friends all know,
      With what a brave carouse...

Comment

Didn't the owner of Naill pipes start with Starck originally? I was under the impression that the Naills were very similar - at least, in the beginning.

Comment

I have two sets of Starks...one full size, one 3/4 size....both are exceptionally well made.. nice wood, very detailed turning....both tune just fine with modern reeds in the drones....
          Very solid sound.
          I do not have the original chanters, so I speak only of the drones.

Comment

Great pipes. Know several people who have them, including myself, and who don't part with them. So that's an endorsement

Comment

Originally posted by Lochie View Post
              I have two sets of Starks
              I think the discussion is about Starck, not to be confused with Stark, a different maker.

Henry Starck (London) whose business was continued by his son Albert Starck and Albert's son Henry Starck.

Henry was a London wooden flute maker who was approached by Willie Ross to make pipes under the "Ross" name. Charles Wicks and Les Cowell both worked for Starck and later started their own businesses.

Totally unrelated to the Starcks was Allan Stark, an Edinburgh pipe maker, who had worked for the Glens.

Anyhow about Starck (London) pipes, I play a set that's superb.

The drones have unique dark harmonics, but aren't very loud.

The main issue is that I've not successfully reeded the drones to play at 480. They play great at 466, and that's where I play them, with a McCallum 466 Bb chanter.

In fact I'm playing them today at a Church gig, where I'll be right in tune with the Pipe Organ.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 11-28-2021, 05:02 AM.
              proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Harper View Post
                Didn't the owner of Naill pipes start with Starck originally? I was under the impression that the Naills were very similar - at least, in the beginning.
                That's right - Les Cowell was an apprentice to the Starck business in the late 1940s. He worked for various woodwind makers for a number of years after that until starting Naill in the 70s. My understanding is the Naill drones were never an exact copy of the Starck design, but very much in that tradition.
                http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
                -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

The Frankenstein set of pipes (eBay 133946189621) that is active bidding, has a couple of Starck chanters, non-matching bass top (with MOD stamp) and non-matching bass bottom. Seller hints of “Sark” make. Bidding shot up quickly…it will be interesting to see where this one goes.

The last two sets that recently sold were in much better shape but neither commanded a sold price as high as what I would expect. Market for vintage pipes is still quite soft.
                  Last edited by Toxpert; 11-28-2021, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pancelticpiper View Post
                    Anyhow about Starck (London) pipes, I play a set that's superb.

The drones have unique dark harmonics, but aren't very loud.

The main issue is that I've not successfully reeded the drones to play at 480. They play great at 466, and that's where I play them
                    Lovely pipes. I use cane drone reeds in mine, synthetics don't do anything for them. Where did you get the bag cover BTW?

Comment

Les Cowell worked for Rudall Carte/Henry Starck in London. Rudall Carte pipes are very rare.

Comment

Well well now on Ebay there IS a Stark bagpipe!! Though the seller says it's a Starck.

Once again, Starck was a London maker, Stark was an Edinburgh maker, no relation.

Exceptional Original Vintage Allan G Starck, Edinburgh Full Sized Bagpipes | eBay
                        Last edited by pancelticpiper; 12-03-2021, 05:31 AM.
                        proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; Son of the Revolution and Civil War; first European settlers on the Guyandotte

Comment

Originally posted by Bram View Post

Lovely pipes. I use cane drone reeds in mine, synthetics don't do anything for them. Where did you get the bag cover BTW?
                          Good question about the bag-cover, I don't remember. It has the nice multicolour fringe that one doesn't see much these days. The BW fabric is a bit tatty, though.

I have another BW cover which has wool in great shape, but just plain green fringe. I'm tempted to do a fringectomy.

About reeds, those drones play fantastic at 466 with ordinary EzeeDrone reeds (not the "long") and no extenders are needed.

Comment

I contacted the Stark seller soon after the auction started…and let him know his use of Starck in title and description was in error. Starck has now been edited to Stark for this auction.

The Stark is a nice looking set that seems reminiscent to 60s era style of Henderson’s.

I read somewhere that between the late 1940s and 1960 Stark made around 200 sets. Anyone experiences with Stark (not Starck)?

Comment

All I know is what Highland Bagpipe Makers says, that Allan Graham Stark (b1899) worked for J&R Glen from 1914 to 1947 (except for time off for war service) then in 1947 set up his own pipemaking business.

In 1960 the Stark family emigrated to Australia, where Allan died in 1963.

I've never knowingly seen or heard a Stark set, until this one came up on Ebay.

Comment

Working...
                              X