The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Tune Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Tune Collection

We're having a little composition competition within our band. We'd like to have a tune to present to someone who has been a huge benefactor to our band; and the thought was to have members compose tunes and have a "blind" competition to vote on the best to then present.

In the process, I was thinking of how many forum members we have who have composed tunes, whether for specific honor (e.g., to an instructor, relative, event, etc.), for their band, for their own personal interest. That, in turn, moved me to wonder about having and publishing a Bob Dunsire Forum Member Collection (of tunes, of course; although there could be just as rich a one in jokes!). I do not flatter myself to think I'm an original thinker. So has this been bounced around before? Is it a viable vision, regardless of who's thought of it?

Many millions of years ago the predecessor to this forum, the rec.music.makers.bagpipe group, did exactly this, creating the RMMB New Century Tunebook:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/music...emusicbook.pdf

It turned out to be that group's last hurrah, as this forum superseded it shortly afterwards, but it certainly proves it can be done!

I think the main lesson from that production was that the thing has to be fairly carefully managed - I have long forgotten the details but I seem to recall there were some major errors of attribution, and some argy-bargy on various sides (nothing new for RMMB, of course).

(If anyone has long memories: there was some discussion of an updated edition with errors corrected and some alterations, but I don't think this was ever published, is this right?)

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.musi...y%20collection
    http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
    -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

Originally posted by Calum View Post

(If anyone has long memories: there was some discussion of an updated edition with errors corrected and some alterations, but I don't think this was ever published, is this right?)
      I don't think a corrected edition was ever published. Not a bad tunebook either - around 75 tunes.

I think it's a good idea Equus. I'd be happy to help. I write out tunes in Sibelius frequently and occasionally put together tunebooks.

"What we play is life." - Louis Armstrong

Comment

I have written a few tunes ( second tune book being published as I write this), including some written in response to challenges here on BDF. One question: if the forum publishes a collection, who owns or administers copyright?
        Slainte Leibh/ Slan Leat, Bob Cameron

Comment

Originally posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
          I have written a few tunes ( second tune book being published as I write this), including some written in response to challenges here on BDF. One question: if the forum publishes a collection, who owns or administers copyright?
          ...for BDF to legally ‘publish’ it,...the owner of the copyright ( presumably the composer) would have first had to grant BDF permission to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Klondike Waldo View Post
            The forum doesn't have a distinct legal personality, but in any case copyright would remain with the originators unless they signed it over to someone else. For example, if I typeset all the contributions and Andrew Lenz designed the book layout and produced the final PDF, I would own the artwork in the tunes, the composers would own the copyright to the tunes themselves, and Andrew would own the artwork in the book itself. These days, there are lots of suitable 'open' licences - Creative Commons and the like - which would be useful, but not essential.
            http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
            -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

Well said, Callum. If we were to do a book, I’d like to see an agreement signed by contributors saying they retain the copyright, but BDF would have permanent permission to publish the listed tune(s) in a collection . . . it could also be added that the permission would be revoked if the collection were ever to be sold by BDF for profit. Details could be worked out.

The bigger question is, do we have enough interested composers?

Andrew
              Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. BDF Moderator
              BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

Working...
              X