The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Christmas life changer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Christmas life changer

I have received bagpipe music books as gifts for over half a century, having been given the the Scots Guards book by my parents in 1970 (there was only one Scots Guards book at that time), and have bought many others myself over the years. This year my wife gave my Pipe Major W. Ross's Collection Book 4, and while it is in the standard format for bagpipe music books that we are all so very familiar with it is SPIRAL BOUND.
    I think it is going to take some time for my brain to compute this change to one of the constants of my piping life.......

Gently--gently--with the pages... :-)
    And--Congratulations!!--on such
    a fine Gift!! :-)
    Last edited by Pip01; 12-26-2021, 05:20 AM.
    My friends all know,
    With what a brave carouse...

Comment

Does it come in a LARGE print edition?

Comment

I'm holding out for the Scratch-N'-Sniff version of the Willie Ross Collection.
        “Where’s my beer?”

Comment

Spiral? What is this world coming to?

Andrew
          Andrew T. Lenz, Jr. BDF Moderator
          BagpipeJourney.com - Reference for Bagpipers

Comment

I wish more piping collections were spiral bound, especially where a tune takes two pages. If the book is laid out right, the first page would be on the left, the second on the right and could be laid flat easily to read from. ( Both if my collections are spiral bound).
            Slainte Leibh/ Slan Leat, Bob Cameron

Comment

Yes, it's really helpful, the trouble is it's surprisingly expensive to do - when I did my Modern Settings book I looked at the cost of spiral binding and it more than doubled the unit cost, and also affected lead times, quantities, etc. I got a distinct "please stop talking about this" vibe from the printers I talked to.

On the other hand, I've carted boxes of books down to the local print shop before and they will happily guillotine off spines and put a spiral binding on for a few pounds a book, and it's well worth it for anything you play from regularly.
              http://www.callingthetune.co.uk
              -- Formerly known as CalumII

Comment

[QUOTE=Calum]

On the other hand, I've carted boxes of books down to the local print shop before and
                they will happily guillotine off spines and put a spiral binding on for a few pounds a book,
                and it's well worth it for anything you play from regularly.

[QUOTE]

Well now... This lovely resolution--takes care of two very important
                matters--and with--but one stroke!! :-)

First--it supports the local shops. (Always a good thing.)

And Second--it gives us additional ease--in our playing...

A Good Go--all 'round!! :-)

Last edited by Pip01; 12-30-2021, 10:00 AM.
                My friends all know,
                With what a brave carouse...

Comment

Yes!! We may lose the title on the spine but it's well worth it. Our local print shop often blesses me with a frequent-customer discount It makes a world of difference and, as you point out, Pip01, it supports a local business as well as the author and publisher.

Comment

Working...
                  X